And we're back!

Main Menu

Women - still their own worst enemies

Started by Brazen, February 13, 2012, 07:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2012, 02:14:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2012, 02:11:58 PM

That's because women usually do not beat men.

That is oh so very untrue.

Yeah but even if they do they do not get a reputation like Chris Brown.  Their reputation is that they are emotionally unstable or psycho or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2012, 02:15:39 PM

Yeah but even if they do they do not get a reputation like Chris Brown.  Their reputation is that they are emotionally unstable or psycho or something.
or if she kills him that he deserved it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

For the record, based on anecdotal evidence, I was surprised how common domestic violence is in gay relationships. I guess I am not sure if it qualifies as domestic violence per se, as this is usually more like a brawl, but I have known several gay male couples who beat each other more than once (and I mean stuff like black eyes and whatnot).

Razgovory

Nah, that's just an Eastern Europe thing.  It goes hand in hand with the always being drunk thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Except it is true.  Female on male domestic violence does happen - I've prosecuted some cases, but it is rare.  I just got back from my day in domestic violence court and there was perhaps one woman on the docket.

Anecdotally, I've see more cases of DV in female same sex relationships than in male same sex relationships, but I don't know if I can draw any wider conclusions from that observation - it may be that lesbians are more likely to be in longer-term relationships than gays.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2012, 02:46:30 PM

Except it is true.  Female on male domestic violence does happen - I've prosecuted some cases, but it is rare.  I just got back from my day in domestic violence court and there was perhaps one woman on the docket.

Anecdotally, I've see more cases of DV in female same sex relationships than in male same sex relationships, but I don't know if I can draw any wider conclusions from that observation - it may be that lesbians are more likely to be in longer-term relationships than gays.

A lot of reports that I've read suggest that women are every bit as likely to commit domestic abuse as men, but men are even more reluctant to report being assaulted by their wives than women are to report being assaulted by their husbands.  And women are more likely to slap, rather than strike with a closed fist, so they are less likely to leave visible injuries that will attrack attention from 3rd parties.

Razgovory

Yeah, I think reporting is the main reason for discrepancy.  Also, chicks don't hit as hard.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

I'd like to be with a violent woman who weighs 50-60% as me. As long as she sticks to fists; knives and frying pans not so much.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: dps on February 13, 2012, 03:01:50 PM
A lot of reports that I've read suggest that women are every bit as likely to commit domestic abuse as men, but men are even more reluctant to report being assaulted by their wives than women are to report being assaulted by their husbands.  And women are more likely to slap, rather than strike with a closed fist, so they are less likely to leave visible injuries that will attrack attention from 3rd parties.

You have a source on that?  Because I've never read that (quite the opposite really), and I do a lot of work in that field.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on February 13, 2012, 03:01:50 PM
A lot of reports that I've read suggest that women are every bit as likely to commit domestic abuse as men

That runs contrary to everything I have read on the subject.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2012, 02:25:28 PM
For the record, based on anecdotal evidence, I was surprised how common domestic violence is in gay relationships. I guess I am not sure if it qualifies as domestic violence per se, as this is usually more like a brawl, but I have known several gay male couples who beat each other more than once (and I mean stuff like black eyes and whatnot).

I'm not really surprised.  I'd also think that individual instances would be nastier given that it would be more of a two-sided fight than man vs. woman domestic violence.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 13, 2012, 04:26:00 PM
I'm not really surprised.  I'd also think that individual instances would be nastier given that it would be more of a two-sided fight than man vs. woman domestic violence.

Yeah, I am not sure why anyone would expect gay men  to be any less violent on average then other men in their domestic relationships.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2012, 03:04:18 PM
Yeah, I think reporting is the main reason for discrepancy.  Also, chicks don't hit as hard.

...to the point where some instances would be a bit 'iffy' in terms of being what I would consider domestic violence, e.g. my wife slaps me on the arm if I tease her but I think it's cute.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2012, 02:46:30 PM

Very interesting here.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 13, 2012, 04:30:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2012, 03:04:18 PM

...to the point where some instances would be a bit 'iffy' in terms of being what I would consider domestic violence, e.g. my wife slaps me on the arm if I tease her but I think it's cute.

Yeah.  Most guys aren't going to report a slap on the face to the police.  Perhaps part of it is machismo but another part is that men are simply stronger then women.  A woman slapping a man isn't likely to do much damage, but if a guy backhands his wife he could do some serious damage to her.  Of course that's not always true.  Some women are pretty strong and can beat the crap out of their husbands or boyfriends.  But usually not.