News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2011 Tax Returns

Started by Admiral Yi, February 12, 2012, 07:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

The best way is to lose everything in a messy divorce, then tax filing becomes a lot simpler.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

KRonn

I'll be getting money back, mortgage and some medical bills out of pocket this year to add to it. After a rather large Federal return last year, I decreased my withholding taxes so I'd get a little less taken out of my paycheck, since I was paying a bit too much apparently. Hey, I ain't Warren Buffet!! 

garbon

Quote from: PDH on February 13, 2012, 02:16:21 PM
The best way is to lose everything in a messy divorce, then tax filing becomes a lot simpler.

Homeless people have it so easy! :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I ditched TaxCut last year & went with TurboTax & will do so again this year.  We gave away a buttload of clothes again last year (particularly accumulated baby/toddler clothes, given how we're at the end of a hand-me-down chain) and the TurboTax donations calculator helps immensely.

So far it's looking like we stand to get back way more than we had before, with two kids and some day-care expenses we can actually claim.  We're also just past the threshold to deduct medical expenses for 2011, so it's been a doozy just gathering all the info for that.

TaxCut was so buggy for me-- if I left an item (or just one field) to complete later and then actually went back & completed it later, it would still throw errors telling me something was missing & I'd end up having to do the whole damned thing from scratch.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

I only have to minimally alter the returns pre-calculated by our IRS. Their software gets it right more often than not.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Iormlund on February 13, 2012, 04:59:23 PM
I only have to minimally alter the returns pre-calculated by our IRS. Their software gets it right more often than not.

We've been outdone in efficiency by the Spaniards. We suck.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

And the Greeks are even more efficient. They just don't pay taxes at all.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on February 13, 2012, 04:59:23 PM

That's cool.  How complicated is a typical Spanish return?

Iormlund

It is fairly easy as far as I can tell, although being a single guy with no mortgage mine are as easy as you can think of.

You get sent a pre-calculated draft with parameters set in advance (income, mortgage, pension contributions, people who depend on you etc). If you want to change something you can use an application on their web page to modify or redo the whole thing.

In addition pretty much all taxes are levied by the central government, which then distributes the money to regional administrations. I'm guessing that simplifies things quite a bit.

KRonn

Hmm, the Spanish system seems quite streamlined. I would wish the US would start streamling and simplifying its tax code. But hey, our legislators do talk threaten about doing that all the time. But we may want to be carful though, as we may get what we wish for, simplification, and not like it.

Admiral Yi

I was doing my state, so had to look at the federal pdf.  Found out that I got a $200 credit for contributing to my own retirement while poor.  :w00t:

Thanks Barry, I feel stimulated. :cheers:

Ed Anger

The thought of my 2011 taxes MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on February 13, 2012, 06:55:28 PM
Hmm, the Spanish system seems quite streamlined. I would wish the US would start streamling and simplifying its tax code. But hey, our legislators do talk threaten about doing that all the time. But we may want to be carful though, as we may get what we wish for, simplification, and not like it.
In my last job I had to research lots of tax systems.  Without exception the US was the most difficult and unpleasant to deal with in terms of getting the information and degree of complexity.  I mean even lots of the websites looked like they'd not been updated, or used since the 90s..  I always wonder if Americans don't like government because they're really, really bad at it.

QuoteThat's cool.  How complicated is a typical Spanish return?
Most Euro-countries don't need returns unless you're self-employed or have more than one source of income.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Already? My employer hasn't even started mailing the income statements.

Hopefully, I won't have to pay up this year but I'm doubtfull, very very doubtfull.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.