News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2011 Tax Returns

Started by Admiral Yi, February 12, 2012, 07:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Just filed federal using TurboTax' freebie.

As a heads up to anyone who plans to do the same, they try to bamboozle you in to using their pay state service (30 clams).  The only way you can opt out is to click on state return then click on delete.

katmai

I wish i could use freebie, too many employers and extra income, but no state income so wouldn't have to deal with that aspect anyways.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

I owe the government money. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Turbotax used to be ok.  I used H&R Block last year (my taxes are simple, so it's always a freebie version), but this year they had some jack-assed load of questions regarding Roth IRA contributions that wanted me to lay out my entire contribution history current value.  Fuck that.

Went back to Taxslayer (free for military, at least) this year.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jaron on February 12, 2012, 09:59:55 PM

Yeah, this is the first time I've ever had to pay out.  Which is why I'm putting it off until April 14th.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2012, 01:58:54 AM

Yeah, this is the first time I've ever had to pay out.  Which is why I'm putting it off until April 14th.

I believe we have until the 17th or 18th this year.

EDIT: Yep pretty sure it is the 17th.  The 15th is a Sunday and IIRC April 16th is a holiday in DC so there is no mail service.

Jaron

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2012, 01:58:54 AM

Same. :P

If I was getting money back that form would already be efiled, but since I'm not their asses can wait until I'm damn good and ready. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Phillip V

I started working on my tax return yesterday, but will wait until Feb 15, when my stock brokerage allows electronic importation of my statements into TurboTax.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on February 12, 2012, 10:10:45 PM
I am not required to file. -_-

You might qualify for Earned Income Tax Credit.

MadImmortalMan

Also putting it off until the 14th. The buttraping gets worse every year.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

I always use Turbotax. Their web interface is very nicely done, even if it is kind of pricey. I think my bill was $80 for federal and state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2012, 11:58:39 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 12, 2012, 10:10:45 PM
I am not required to file. -_-

You might qualify for Earned Income Tax Credit.

Negative.  Didn't get paid till January.

Hopefully, the ironic thing will happen, and I'll have to pay extra taxes on my subalternoid wages next year.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on February 13, 2012, 12:50:12 PM
I always use Turbotax. Their web interface is very nicely done, even if it is kind of pricey. I think my bill was $80 for federal and state.
Same here.  It's familiar, it's easy to use, and the aggravation it saves me is valued at so much higher than $50 or so that it doesn't make sense to nickel and dime it.  I even buy the (grossly overprice, I'm sure) audit protection, just because I'm a very risk-averse actuary.

CountDeMoney

I use TaxAct online;  it's free for Fed and state package is like $19, and for a nominal price $6 or so, they maintain something like your last 6 years' returns on their server.  Never had any issues with it at all.