News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama's Playlist for 2012 Campaign

Started by Syt, February 11, 2012, 03:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099080/President-Obamas-campaign-playlist-shows-selection-hopeful-songs--rap.html

QuotePresident Barack Obama released his campaign playlist today and there are a number of different ways to read between the lines on his musical selections.

The list of 29 songs shows a wide-array of artists which was crafted with an full spectrum of voters in mind.

There is no doubt that by listing Different People, a hit by the band No Doubt, the President was aiming for youth voters who came out strong for him in the 2008 election.

By putting 1960s group REO Speedwagon's hit Roll With The Change, Mr Obama was making a not-so-subtle hint about his campaign slogan of yore.

And by tipping his hat to 'Reverend' Al Green, he was surely hoping to remind readers about shout-out to the soul legend at a recent fundraiser at the Apollo Theater.

The playlist, released Thursday by the campaign on the web music service Spotify, includes mostly American artists.

The hefty amount of country songs shows a clear play for values voters, and the same can be said for the youth vote that he courts with relative unknown indie bands like AgesAndAges.

Mr Obama showed off his knowledge of alternative music - even that released since he became President - by picking trendy artists Arcade Fire and Florence + the Machine.

In addition to Al Green - whose hit Let's Stay Together jumped up in sales by 490 per cent following Mr Obama's brief rendition - the President's friend Jennifer Hudson was also put on the list.

Conspicuously absent are any rap or R&B songs, including those by Jay Z and Beyonce who have met with Mr Obama on a number of occasions.

In the past, Jay Z campaigned for the President and Beyonce sang Etta James' At Last as the Barack and Michelle's first dance on his inauguration.

Also missing are Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, two artists whom Mr Obama has previously noted as among his favorites that were used in the previous campaign.

ALL THE TUNES: OBAMA'S PLAYLIST

Different People (No Doubt)
Got to Get You Into My Life (Earth, Wind & Fire)
Green Onions (Booker T & The MG's)
I Got You (Wilco)
Keep on Pushing (The Impressions)
Keep Reachin' Up (Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators)
Love You I Do? (Jennifer Hudson)
No Nostalgia (AgesAndAges)
Raise Up (Ledisi)
Stand Up (Sugarland)
This (Darius Rucker)
We Used To Wait (Arcade Fire)
You've Got the Love (Florence and the Machine)
Your Smiling Face (James Taylor)
Roll with the Change (REO Speedwagon)
Everyday America (Sugarland?)
Learn to Live (Darius Rucker)
Let's Stay Together (Al Green)
Mr. Blue Sky (Electric Light Orchestra)
My Town (Montgomery Gentry)
The Best Thing about Me Is You (Ricky Martin, featuring Joss Stone)
You are the Best Thing (Ray Lamontagne)
Keep Marchin (Raphael Saadiq)
Tonight's The Kind of Night (Noah and the Whale)
We Take Care of Our Own (Bruce Springsteen)
Keep Me In Mind (Zac Brown Band)
The Weight (Aretha Franklin cover of song by The Band)
Even Better Than The Real Thing (U2)
Home (Dierks Bentley)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on February 11, 2012, 03:36:09 AM

So, 2 good picks out of 29. The rest are either unknown or mediocre to bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 11, 2012, 04:08:34 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 11, 2012, 03:36:09 AM

So, 2 good picks out of 29. The rest are either unknown or mediocre to bad.

They're the only two tracks I actually know from that list. I like some of the country tracks - but that's probably mostly because there's next to no country music over here and it feels relatively "fresh" to me.

Besides, if you were to make a song like "Home" in Germany, it would only be viable as a parody, or as part of the deepest recesses of Volksmusik.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

I would've thought Even Better Than the Real Thing by U2 was more known, or you're trying to erase anything Bono from your mind?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Caliga

:lol: Dierks Bentley.  Like Obama listens to country music.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Liep on February 11, 2012, 06:48:59 AM
I would've thought Even Better Than the Real Thing by U2 was more known, or you're trying to erase anything Bono from your mind?

Considering that MTV played anything from Achtung Baby ad nauseam and that I actually like a lot of U2 songs, I was rather surprised that this had slipped by me.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2012, 06:52:10 AM
:lol:Dierks Bentley.  Like Obama listens to country music.

Are you saying that campaign strategists had a hand in this list and that it's not purely from the Presidizzle's heart? :o

I like the Darius Rucker songs, I have to confess.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Yeah, now that he's not Hootie and sings straight country, he's actually pretty good. :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on February 11, 2012, 06:54:02 AM
Are you saying that campaign strategists had a hand in this list and that it's not purely from the Presidizzle's heart? :o
Yeah, but here's the thing: if Romney's campaign song list had 'black people music' in it all you'd hear is OMG PANDURUR. :)

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2012, 06:57:00 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 11, 2012, 06:54:02 AM
Yeah, but here's the thing: if Romney's campaign song list had 'black people music' in it all you'd hear is OMG PANDURUR. :)

Well, I can't lay my finger on it, but I think Obama seems more believable with it than Romney would. I can see Obama going to a country concert and having a good time, but not Romney going to an RnB concert.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Fireblade