And we're back!

Main Menu

How to win friends, baptist style

Started by Martinus, February 10, 2012, 08:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 11:35:41 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2012, 11:15:34 AM
You say that like there's any difference between a religion and a cult.

Cults are almost always personality centered.

While mainstream religions are obviously not centered in certain figures like Jesus, Buddha or Mohammed. My bad.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 11:46:15 AMSure, but olde skool cults are supposed to fall apart when the leader dies.  Scientology managed to bureaucratize and institutionalize itself.

you ever read up on how scientology regards hubbard, like.. in their official histories? honest question. it's amusing, reminds me a bit of the north koreans consider kim il-sung

Admiral Yi

My reading of Scientology official histories is woefully inadequate.  :blush:

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2012, 10:24:13 AM
Mart is too busy trying to shove his internet finger into HVC's chest to notice.
shoving the who in the what now?

*edit* oh, i see now. didn't notice marti's comment after the quote. it's ok, he'll go over it. i'll get one of my believing friends to pray for his soul :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 03:04:33 PM
My reading of Scientology official histories is woefully inadequate.  :blush:
wiki it when you have the chance for a brief intro, if you've the time  :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on February 10, 2012, 03:06:47 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2012, 10:24:13 AM
Mart is too busy trying to shove his internet finger into HVC's chest to notice.
shoving the who in the what now?

*edit* oh, i see now. didn't notice marti's comment after the quote. it's ok, he'll go over it. i'll get one of my believing friends to pray for his soul :P

If you want, I'll have my wife's church pray for all the doomed faggots in Poland.  :)

I'll even say it like that to the preacherman. DOOMED FAGGOTS.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2012, 02:32:27 PM

While mainstream religions are obviously not centered in certain figures like Jesus, Buddha or Mohammed. My bad.

That is the institutionalization Yippee talked about.  One of the easier (if a bit crass) ways to look at it is that a cult is a potential religion given good accountants and an ability to survive whatever apocalypse they predict.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 11:46:15 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2012, 11:44:42 AM
Nope, Scientology has nothing to do with L. Ron Hubbard's personality.

Sure, but olde skool cults are supposed to fall apart when the leader dies.  Scientology managed to bureaucratize and institutionalize itself.

What do you mean by "Olde Skool" cults?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 04:10:02 PM

Jonestown, Koresh, that Indian dude who fucked Meeuh Farrow.

Iormlund

Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 04:06:40 PM

That is the institutionalization Yippee talked about.  One of the easier (if a bit crass) ways to look at it is that a cult is a potential religion given good accountants and an ability to survive whatever apocalypse they predict.

Like I said, no meaningful difference.

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2012, 11:15:34 AM
Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 08:44:28 AM
To be fair, the Westboro types are not really Baptists.  Cultists is a better term.

You say that like there's any difference between a religion and a cult.

A bit of of an issue of scale.  This is two families in a compound.  Also he said "Baptists" not "religion".  I wouldn't even qualify it as a church.  More of a bible study group with an interesting way justifying their desire to tour the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 04:12:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 04:10:02 PM

Jonestown, Koresh, that Indian dude who fucked Meeuh Farrow.

Koresh didn't found the Branch Davidian cult.  I have no idea who the Indian dude is.

PDH

Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2012, 04:16:17 PM

If you take the scale out far enough there never is.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2012, 04:16:17 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 04:06:40 PM

I suppose, if you abstract it to the point where there's no meaningful difference between any kind of human endeavour.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.