Main Menu

How to win friends, baptist style

Started by Martinus, February 10, 2012, 08:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteWestboro to picket boys' funeral over gay marriage law

by Stephen Gray
10 February 2012, 9:26am

The homophobic Westboro Baptist Church has said it will picket the funeral of two young boys who were killed by their father at the weekend after the Washington state legislature voted in favour of gay marriage.

The notorious church will attend the funeral of the Charlie and Braden Powell in Tacoma, Washington.

Margie Phelps, son of the church's head Fred Phelps, tweeted that after gay marriage legislation in Washington was passed God had "cursed" the state by having Josh Powell kill his sons in a fire.

She said the picket would "remind" Washington Governor Christine Gregoire that the boys had died "because of her rebellion".

In January, Gregoire gave her support to proposed equal marriage legislation for Washington which has now passed through the state's senate and house of representatives.

She said last week: "As governor, I believe the state of Washington cannot be in the business of discrimination. As an American, a wife and mother, marriage equality is fair, just, and right. And it is time."

Governor Gregoire is expected to sign the equal marriage bill into law on Monday.

A thousand people joined a Facebook event to "create a buffer" between the protesters and the funeral.

Occupy Seattle said it would also protest against Westboro.

The funeral is due to take place tomorrow morning.

Good thing they are not atheists, as then they would have annoyed HVC and Raz. As it is, they are just preaching, which is a part of their religion and something that's, what's the word, HVC? "Admirable"?

PDH

To be fair, the Westboro types are not really Baptists.  Cultists is a better term.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Berkut

Marty, do you realize that posting stuff like this is doing exactly what they want you to do?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Thing is, will they show up? They have a habit of saying they will do a picket and not show up.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2012, 10:18:29 AM
Thing is, will they show up? They have a habit of saying they will do a picket and not show up.

They don't have to show up to get what they want out of the stunt, which is to enrage people like Marty into supporting their cause by spreading their message for them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 10:19:31 AM
They don't have to show up to get what they want out of the stunt, which is to enrage people like Marty into supporting their cause by spreading their message for them.

:yes:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Mart is too busy trying to shove his internet finger into HVC's chest to notice.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 08:44:28 AM
To be fair, the Westboro types are not really Baptists.  Cultists is a better term.

And a family-centered one at that;  I think they have more family members in their little club than outsiders.

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2012, 10:38:59 AMAnd a family-centered one at that;  I think they have more family members in their little club than outsiders.

do they have any outsiders?  :D

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on February 10, 2012, 08:29:42 AM
QuoteMargie Phelps, son of the church's head Fred Phelps, tweeted that after gay marriage legislation in Washington was passed God had "cursed" the state by having Josh Powell kill his sons in a fire.

She said the picket would "remind" Washington Governor Christine Gregoire that the boys had died "because of her rebellion".

:hmm: Physician, heal thyself.

Iormlund

Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 08:44:28 AM

You say that like there's any difference between a religion and a cult.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2012, 11:15:34 AM

Cults are almost always personality centered.

Only exception I can think of is Scientology. :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 11:35:41 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 10, 2012, 11:15:34 AM

Cults are almost always personality centered.

Only exception I can think of is Scientology. :hmm:

Nope, Scientology has nothing to do with L. Ron Hubbard's personality.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2012, 11:44:42 AM
Nope, Scientology has nothing to do with L. Ron Hubbard's personality.

Sure, but olde skool cults are supposed to fall apart when the leader dies.  Scientology managed to bureaucratize and institutionalize itself.