News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In God We Must

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, February 05, 2012, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

He can be amusing while he hangs himself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 07:40:16 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 06, 2012, 07:32:07 PM
Why is it "bigoted" to consider someone else's worldview in raising kids harmful?

Is one a "bigot" if one considers parents who feed their children only chicken nuggerts harmful?

Analogies? Really?

I'm not saying these are analogous. I just oppose a world where you can criticize someone's eating habits but you can't criticize their religion. I think we have become some sort of pussified society where "not being offended" has become one of the fundamental rights, which is idiotic.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 07:55:42 PM
Yeah, it's a dumb analogy, but why is it wrong to bash what is, ultimately, a mutable characteristic and an ideological position?

I don't think it's even wrong to bash someone immutable characteristic - as long as you are not using violence or inciting to violence and everybody has the level playing field guaranteed from a legal perspective.

I think the whole mutable vs. immutable divide is a red herring. It just leads to unproductive discussions whether being gay is a choice or whether "race" exists or whether one chooses one religion or grows up into it. People are different. As long as they don't harm others, law should not prevent them from being whatever the hell they want to be. But none of these makes them immune to criticism from people who think less of them because of that.

Now, I think the problem lies with people wanting to legislate morality (at the both sides of the aisle) and ban or hinder stuff they don't agree with but that do not actively harm other people - but this is the attitude we should fight, and not "bigotry".

rufweed

If you can tell me I'm going to a non-existent, evidenceless Hell (usually with a smirk), ...that's all the excuse I need to mock the totality of your superstition.

If I don't know that's what you think, we have no problem. As it should be.

Bibles, Qurans, Torahs and etc. are for your personal delusions, keep it that way.

Thanks  :)

Gups

You've got Dawkins saying that in certain circumstances bringing up a child in a religious environment can be more damaging than sexual abuse (I paraphrase).

OTOH you have thousands of religious types saying that if you don't bring up your child in a certain way you are digustingly immoral and condemning your child to an eternity of torture.

But of course it's the atheists who are the sanctimonious, smug ones.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Gups on February 07, 2012, 05:13:49 AM

Oft times yes.
PDH!

Martinus

I think the root of the problem is really that most people cannot cope with a low-key "internal" conflict on a social level. As a species, we have a hard time going about our business when two or more mutually exclusive worldviews exist within what we perceive as a "community" or "society" - it probably has some old time evolutionary roots.

So whenever we identify a source of that conflict - i.e. people who think differently than us - we tend to escalate this conflict into a war (whether a real war, or a figurative "Phelps-Dawkins war" if our societies have strong enough anti-violence controls) by trying to impose our own worldview as dominant and achieve a total victory.

Which probably makes the unique ability of some people to accept the middle ground to be the most valuable thing differentiating us from animals - there is nothing more beastial than standing by one's principles and rejecting any "rotten compromise".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2012, 07:11:53 AM
Which probably makes the unique ability of some people to accept the middle ground to be the most valuable thing differentiating us from animals - there is nothing more beastial than standing by one's principles and rejecting any "rotten compromise".

:yeahright:

Beasts are quite practical and have no principles. In instances where they appear stubborn, it's probably because an alternative hasn't occurred to them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

While Poles on the other hand...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Gups on February 07, 2012, 05:13:49 AM
You've got Dawkins saying that in certain circumstances bringing up a child in a religious environment can be more damaging than sexual abuse (I paraphrase).

OTOH you have thousands of religious types saying that if you don't bring up your child in a certain way you are digustingly immoral and condemning your child to an eternity of torture.

Immorality and Hell are not matters of law.  Child abuse is though.  So on one hand you have someone saying that teaching your children something is possibly in the same category of a criminal act if not worse, and the other saying it is immoral and they may get punished by for by some kind of divine authority.  I suppose that's not really a matter of smugness and sanctimony on the part of the Atheist but a desire to curtail human rights or a manifestation of extreme hatred.  The smugness comes from the patronizing and insulting attitude that so many atheist adopt.

Queequeg

The quality of writing on Slate is somewhere between Maxim and my Grade School paper. This is pathetic even by their standards. And that cartoon is atrocious.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Gups

Assuming that your summary of Dawkins' view is correct (it's not but that doesn't matter), he is just a single atheist, hardly representative.

Atheists don't turn up a soldiers' funerals waving placards about fags and the army.

They don't force women to wear burquas or children to strap on explosives.

They don't protect priests who abuse children or blame that abuse on liberalism

They don't make their followers take poison.

We don't really do anything. I've never been at a meeting for atheists. Never knocked on someone's door to bore them about the good news that God doesn't exist. Never made my kids go to atheist school. Never struck up a conversation with a total stranger to tell them they aren't really saved.

I'm not smug or sanctomonious about Christians or Jews or Muslims. I don't really give a shit what you believe in as long as you don't bang on about it. 

Martinus

Raz, Christians actually do want to curtail rights of people they consider sinful - e.g. by legislating bans on adoptions by gay people (and not even by gay couples, but also trying to ban individual homosexuals from adopting).

I don't think even Dawkins ever gone so far as to want to ban adoptions by Christians.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2012, 07:56:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2012, 07:11:53 AM

:yeahright:

Beasts are quite practical and have no principles. In instances where they appear stubborn, it's probably because an alternative hasn't occurred to them.

Their "principles" are biological imperatives. A wolf cannot decide to live side by side with a sheep and reach a reasonable compromise.

Eddie Teach

Humans have biological imperatives too. Principles are artificial constructs that only humans have. It seems rather bizarre to claim that hewing to them is bestial.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?