News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In God We Must

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, February 05, 2012, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 05, 2012, 03:42:39 PM
But I don't want to fuck a Christian anyway.  They think Jesus told them that facials are evil; I'm not familiar with that verse myself.

Something about turning the other cheek, I think. Lulz.

QuoteVegetarianism bothers people more, I think, because they think I'm secretly judging them.  And I totally am.

And they're judging you. That's the next cultural war, my friend.

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 06, 2012, 12:15:39 AM
Denial - switched churches because I thought I was just uncomfortable with how "hellfire and bloody damnation" the pastor and at least one of the elders was.
Anger - mostly took the form of condescension.  I took way too much glee in seeing everybody off to church upon the realization I could reclaim my Sunday mornings without being struck by lightning.
Bargaining - missed the community, plain and simple.  Made a few occasional church visits just to see people (which I was aware was totally missing the point of attending church in the first place), figured I'd suffer through the obnoxious hymns and prayers to get to hanging out with people after the service.
Depression - self explanatory, big way.  Possibly explains how I went from being generally dismissed as just another cynical kid to an adult with borderline-OCD tics that required antidepressants.
Acceptance - Mostly there.  Still working off the depression, but I've generally accepted that I'm not a freak or a superhuman for not needing religion, nor is anyone else an idiot or inferior for getting a positive boost from believing in something.

Drama queen much?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I'm glad I didn't grow up in some weird cult.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on February 06, 2012, 05:11:59 AM
I have been trying to understand why it is so offensive when Richard Dawkins says "your theology is wrong mine is right" it is offensive but when the pope says it it is somehow not offensive. I also do not understand why when Richard Dawkins encourages people to agree with him he is strident but when Rick Warren does so he is not.

Here's a hint.  Dawkin's offensive when he says "You theology is as harmful as child abuse".  But of course you and Marty have a hard time understanding things because bigots always do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

If you're an atheist and are being discriminated against in employment, housing, etc., that's against the law, so you have legal recourse.

If you're an atheist and are whining because your neighbors and/or co-workers don't like you because of your atheism, suck it up.  There are lots of reasons that people don't like each other besides theological differences.  We all have do deal with the fact that some people just don't realize how awesome we are and dislike us.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2012, 07:04:59 AM
But I don't want to fuck a Christian anyway.  They think Jesus told them that facials are evil; I'm not familiar with that verse myself.

Something about turning the other cheek, I think. Lulz.

Coverage is important.

QuoteVegetarianism bothers people more, I think, because they think I'm secretly judging them.  And I totally am.

And they're judging you. That's the next cultural war, my friend.

All right, ground floor.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on February 06, 2012, 04:33:41 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on February 05, 2012, 01:17:30 PM
lol. I'm a relatively out atheist in the South and I've never had a problem.

But then again, I live in a real city, not Pig's Cooter, Texas.

It's hurt me, socially, on occasion.  But I don't want to fuck a Christian anyway.  They think Jesus told them that facials are evil; I'm not familiar with that verse myself.

Vegetarianism bothers people more, I think, because they think I'm secretly judging them.  And I totally am.

Actually, I feel the same about (vocal) Christians as I feel about vegetarians. You look like a normal person until we reach a trigger ("homosexuals are evil", "you should eat fish on Friday", "you shouldn't eat meat") and your insanity becomes disturbingly visible.

It's like finding out your best friend is into furry coprophagia.

Cool, I'm halfway there.  If I can get Tim to make pro-carnivorism statements too, the taint should be sufficient to get people off animals for good.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: dps on February 06, 2012, 03:25:32 PM
If you're an atheist and are whining because your neighbors and/or co-workers don't like you because of your atheism, suck it up.  There are lots of reasons that people don't like each other besides theological differences.  We all have do deal with the fact that some people just don't realize how awesome we are and dislike us.
If you're an atheist and all you can talk about is how much you love atheism and how stupid everyone who isn't you is, then that's probably why people don't like you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 03:30:43 PM
Cool, I'm halfway there.  If I can get Tim to make pro-carnivorism statements too, the taint should be sufficient to get people off animals for good.

Maybe you ought to get them to mention that they like playing video games and watching television while you're at it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2012, 09:37:10 AM

Here's a hint.  Dawkin's offensive when he says "You theology is as harmful as child abuse".  But of course you and Marty have a hard time understanding things because bigots always do.

I take it you don't know how to use quotation marks. Dawkins did not say that. He said something completely different. I know that some people think that Dawkins is strident based on faked quotations and deliberatly misleading misrepresentations of what he said.

What he said, when asked about that misrepresentation he said "When you hear a child a child labelled as a christian child simply because it's parents are christian then that is child abuse." See, thats how you use quotation marks. It's the labelling that is the child abuse not the stuff you made up.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HVC

Still a stupid thing to say. Dawkins is an agitating self-righteous dick.

And before you go that route, I'm an atheist.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on February 06, 2012, 03:25:32 PM
If you're an atheist and are being discriminated against in employment, housing, etc., that's against the law, so you have legal recourse.

I actually agree. Same goes really for being black, gay, Christian, Muslim, straight or a hipster. I think the right to dislike other people should be maintained.

Martinus

PS. I used to think differently not so long ago so dont point out inconsistencies. ;)

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 06, 2012, 04:35:26 PM
PS. I used to think differently not so long ago so dont point out inconsistencies. ;)

What changed?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 04:41:16 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 06, 2012, 04:35:26 PM

What changed?

That may sound silly but listening to comedians make their case against humour censorship. Also a general desire to grow up. I dont think it's the society's duty to make people like each other. And if I dislike people for being stupid or religious, they have a right to dislike me for being gay or Polish. Drawing arbitrary line at race, nationality or sexuality makes no sense really.