News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In God We Must

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, February 05, 2012, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Meh. Not so much hatred as resentment. Only understandable, when religion is always pushing to impose its creed on others.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on February 07, 2012, 06:38:04 PM
Disagree.  What makes them noteworthy is their hatred of religion.  They are not content to simply be Atheists, but are devoted to destroying religion.  This of course isn't new, but previous groups tended to be communist or fellow travelers.  The "New atheists" are the post-communist variant and have for the most part tried to distant themselves from communists.  Christopher Hitchens was sort of the link between the old and the new.  This hatred is what makes them say silly things and entertain silly ideas like memetics and the Bicameral Mind.

:lol:
and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on February 07, 2012, 06:19:11 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2012, 04:45:41 PM
Not to provide ammunition, but do the CPSU and CCP count? -_-

Are they part of Dawkins' "movement"?

I don't know what Dawkins eats. :rolleyes:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2012, 07:42:42 PM

His diet consists of pure smug.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 07, 2012, 07:58:19 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2012, 07:42:42 PM

His diet consists of pure smug.
With a side of pomposity. Just like any true believer. 
PDH!

dps

Quote from: rufweed on February 07, 2012, 04:47:51 AM
If you can tell me I'm going to a non-existent, evidenceless Hell (usually with a smirk), ...that's all the excuse I need to mock the totality of your superstition.

If I don't know that's what you think, we have no problem. As it should be.

Bibles, Qurans, Torahs and etc. are for your personal delusions, keep it that way.

Thanks  :)

The problem with that point of view is it seems to be along the same lines as the argument that homosexuality is OK as long as homosexuals stay in the closest.  Both seem to say, in essense, "Be who you are, just don't show it to others".

Quote from: GupsI'm not smug or sanctomonious about Christians or Jews or Muslims. I don't really give a shit what you believe in as long as you don't bang on about it. 

Dawkins does bang on about what he believes, which is what pisses some people off.

He has a right to believe and say what he wants, and those who disagree with him have the right to ignore him, express their disagreement, or just point and laugh.

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on February 07, 2012, 06:46:22 PM
Meh. Not so much hatred as resentment. Only understandable, when religion is always pushing to impose its creed on others.

Perhaps he just resents child abusers as well.  I wouldn't see how he has anything to resent.  Atheism has made him a very rich man.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

The thing that annoys me about vocal atheists, i think, is that fact that there's no reason for them to be vocal :lol:. I don't mind a religious person preaching because in most cases that's part of their religion. They're supposed to do that,  or at the very least, in their own weird way, they're trying to "save" me. That's admirable if not a bit condescending. Atheists can't claim the same defense. In most if not all cases atheists come across as asses when they try to prove their point.

I'm not including atheist who argue against "forceful use" (can't think of a better term) of religion like making public school students pray and stuff like that.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

They got grandfathered in, I think.  Virtuous Non-believers.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Lenin is in limbo hanging out with Virgil.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on February 07, 2012, 11:44:53 PM
The thing that annoys me about vocal atheists, i think, is that fact that there's no reason for them to be vocal :lol:. I don't mind a religious person preaching because in most cases that's part of their religion. They're supposed to do that,  or at the very least, in their own weird way, they're trying to "save" me. That's admirable if not a bit condescending. Atheists can't claim the same defense. In most if not all cases atheists come across as asses when they try to prove their point.

I'm not including atheist who argue against "forceful use" (can't think of a better term) of religion like making public school students pray and stuff like that.
There is one good reason to be vocal:  some openly consider you to be an inferior person for being an atheist.  That kind of idiotic behavior kinda understandably provokes backlash.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on February 08, 2012, 01:08:23 AM

There is one good reason to be vocal:  some openly consider you to be an inferior person for being an atheist.  That kind of idiotic behavior kinda understandably provokes backlash.

2 Wrongs make a Right?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Martinus

This opinion makes no fucking sense. You are essentially arguing for a special treatment/double standards for religions because "that's part of [the] religion" (with, incidentally, the religions themselves deciding what's part of them and what's not) while you are denying atheists the same right to decide that vocal and outspoken "preaching" is part of their world view. That's not just offensively moronic, that's actively discriminatory.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2012, 01:10:35 AM
2 Wrongs make a Right?

Are you against the right of self defense?