State Department sets a cost to renouncing citizenship- $450

Started by Lettow77, February 03, 2012, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/state-department-boosts-passport-fees-sets-cost-citizenship-article-1.1016265

QuoteWASHINGTON — U.S. citizenship is priceless to some, worthless to others. But now the State Department has a dollar figure: U.S. citizenship is worth $450.

At least that's what it will cost you to renounce it.

Under new consular fees published Thursday in the Federal Register, the cost of processing a formal renunciation of U.S. citizenship skyrocketed from $0 to $450. The announcement locks in fee hikes that had been proposed in 2010 and instituted on an interim basis.

The State Department doesn't say how or why it calculated the cost. Citizenship is free for most Americans who are accorded the privilege at birth. The department says only that it "has decided that the renunciant should pay this fee at the visit during which he or she swears the oath of renunciation."

It's also getting more expensive if you want to keep your U.S. citizenship and need a passport to prove it. The application fee for a passport is jumping by 27 percent, from $55 to $70 with a 100 percent increase, from $20 to $40, in the passport security surcharge.

In addition to the increase in the application fee, the department will now charge $82 — up from nothing — to add new pages to a U.S. passport. It says the fee is needed to offset the cost of the pages, the time spent affixing the pages into the passport book, endorsing the passport and performing a quality-control check.

And, registering the overseas birth of an American child is going up as well. It will now cost $100 to apply for a report of a birth abroad, up from $65.

The cost of getting a document notarized at a U.S. embassy abroad is also going up. The new price is $50 for a single page, up from $30, according to the new fee schedule.

Holy Crackers!
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

HVC

don't forget the tax on all your assets when you renounce your citizenship.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

alfred russel

QuoteIn addition to the increase in the application fee, the department will now charge $82 — up from nothing — to add new pages to a U.S. passport. It says the fee is needed to offset the cost of the pages, the time spent affixing the pages into the passport book, endorsing the passport and performing a quality-control check.

How ridiculous is this? That is more than a new passport. If it is such a hastle, they should issue passports with more blank pages.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Wait are so many people renouncing US citizenship they need to publicly announce the price?  Will there be specials during the renouncing off season?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

What's wrong with moving abroad, burning your US passport in public whilst shouting "Death to America" ? :unsure:

edit:
Oh I see my mistake, I forgot to take into consideration that the person might want to live into old age.   :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2012, 01:13:55 PM
Wait are so many people renouncing US citizenship they need to publicly announce the price?  Will there be specials during the renouncing off season?

If obama wins, 20% off GOP'ers renouncing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on February 03, 2012, 01:17:05 PM
What's wrong with moving abroad, burning your US passport in public whilst shouting "Death to America" ? :unsure:
edit:
Oh I see my mistake, I forgot to take into consideration that the person might want to live into old age.   :blush:

Heh.  I saw some story about this Brit tourist who was turned away at customs and sent back to Blighty because he was tweeting about how he was going to totally fuck the US up or something...referring to the drunken binge he was going to go on.  But Homeland Security people have no sense of humor.  But I think unless you are stupid enough to post your Death to America thing on Youtube or Twitter the government will not notice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 03, 2012, 01:17:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2012, 01:13:55 PM

If obama wins, 20% off GOP'ers renouncing.

Pffft, Alec Baldwin survived 8 years of Bushitler.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

You are missing in a very big way the motivations that likely drive 99% of these renunciations.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 03, 2012, 01:25:50 PM

You are missing in a very big way the motivations that likely drive 99% of these renunciations.

For which a $450 fine isn't going to mean much.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Taxes?  I know the Feds get pretty stupid about taxing money made abroad.

HVC

people who want to evade their taxes can hate America too, ya know :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

They lack a sense of humour ? :unsure:

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"