Hey, Ide...Law students sue law schools: "You sed I'd be able to get a job!"

Started by CountDeMoney, February 03, 2012, 10:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

In law you're right as long as you get some meatbags to agree with you. In science/engineering it's fuck or walk.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2012, 07:03:25 PM
I did a science degree in undergrad (geology), and then a law degree.

It's only my own personal experience, but I found that my B.Sc. was much much harder than my LL.B.  Like orders of magnitude harder.

Well, I think any of the four true sciences (P/B/C/G) are going to be very hard four year degrees, and I'd bet are definitely harder than law school. But they also don't have anywhere near as many students as engineering undergraduate programs or law programs, mainly because unless you're doing something like you did and following it up with a more profitable post-BS career path like law, or medicine for a lot of biology majors, majoring in a natural science is extremely hard work for very little financial gain.

FWIW in ranking majors by difficulty (based on GPA), no engineering degree shows up in the top 10 for undergraduate. Chemistry is #1, and physics, biology, and geology are all in the top 10.

So essentially I'm not sure comparing a natural science degree to a law degree is the same as comparing an engineering degree to a law degree.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Brain on February 04, 2012, 07:17:34 PM
In law you're right as long as you get some meatbags to agree with you. In science/engineering it's fuck or walk.

I'm not sure you get to just lump engineering in with science. Any real scientist I've known has always talked down on engineers as being the manual laborers of the scientific community, who chose an easier, more profitable path than working with the more difficult subject matter of real science.

The Brain

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2012, 07:22:58 PM

I'm not sure you get to just lump engineering in with science. Any real scientist I've known has always talked down on engineers as being the manual laborers of the scientific community, who chose an easier, more profitable path than working with the more difficult subject matter of real science.

Easy or difficult, in both science and engineering you have to be right (as determined by the uncaring laws of nature). Law is just words.

Iormlund

We do take a lot of shortcuts. But that's simply because otherwise nothing would get done. For example, in the real world it rarely makes sense to spend an hour solving Laplace transforms when you can fix the problem just as well with a simple PID and a little experience.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Brain on February 05, 2012, 03:57:08 AM
Easy or difficult, in both science and engineering you have to be right (as determined by the uncaring laws of nature). Law is just words.

Sure, but science involves extrapolation to solve for unknowns.  Engineering abhors unknowns, and is strictly application of principles gleaned through the scientific method.
Experience bij!

Iormlund

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 05, 2012, 08:24:22 AM

Sure, but science involves extrapolation to solve for unknowns.  Engineering abhors unknowns, and is strictly application of principles gleaned through the scientific method.

What's your point?

CountDeMoney

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2012, 12:56:34 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 03, 2012, 12:42:14 PM
While I'm sympathetic to Ide and his plight, young people and their choice of higher education generally sucks.

I started asking around to see what companies needed EE degreed peeps and man...I realized I have no idea WTF I am talking about or doing.  Fortunately I still have a couple years out before I have to do this in earnest.  We students really have no fucking idea...and worse we do not know we have no fucking idea until we actually start getting serious about employment.

Are you finding it difficult to find interest?

Malthus

It's only my own personal experience, but I found that my B.Sc. was much much harder than my LL.B.  Like orders of magnitude harder.

Yeah, I understand that U of Manitoba law is somewhat similar to kindergarden ...  :P

[/Ducks, runs for cover]

But seriously ... the difficulty in law school is not 'doing the work', but rather in doing it (and all sorts of semi-mandatory "extra curricular" activities) well enough to stand out, sufficient to make you attractive to employers - while competing with a whole bunch of really motivated and very intelligent students. It isn't sufficient to just understand the stuff.

It is a lot easier to "shine" in undergraduate work. Law schools (well, at least the top law schools  :P ) are very selective in who they let in - meaning the students are mostly those who got straight A's already as undergraduates.  So the competition is tough.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

BS.  Remember I come from geology.  I*t's all a bunch of assumptions and guesswork.  You look at a couple of outcroppings, and a handful of core samples, and you're trying to figure out what happened several hundred million years ago.  Everyone can look at the same data and come to some wildly varying conclusions.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2012, 03:53:34 PM

Yeah, I understand that U of Manitoba law is somewhat similar to kindergarden ...  :P

[/Ducks, runs for cover]

But seriously ... the difficulty in law school is not 'doing the work', but rather in doing it (and all sorts of semi-mandatory "extra curricular" activities) well enough to stand out, sufficient to make you attractive to employers - while competing with a whole bunch of really motivated and very intelligent students. It isn't sufficient to just understand the stuff.

It is a lot easier to "shine" in undergraduate work. Law schools (well, at least the top law schools  :P ) are very selective in who they let in - meaning the students are mostly those who got straight A's already as undergraduates.  So the competition is tough.

:zzz

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister