Hey, Ide...Law students sue law schools: "You sed I'd be able to get a job!"

Started by CountDeMoney, February 03, 2012, 10:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on February 03, 2012, 12:43:19 PM
What about the guys of foodstamps?

The elibility requirements for food stamps is pretty freakin low.  Plenty of hard working middle class Americans qualify.

They also switched from Monopoly money to a fake credit card so people don't feel register shame.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 03, 2012, 12:42:14 PM
While I'm sympathetic to Ide and his plight, young people and their choice of higher education generally sucks.

I started asking around to see what companies needed EE degreed peeps and man...I realized I have no idea WTF I am talking about or doing.  Fortunately I still have a couple years out before I have to do this in earnest.  We students really have no fucking idea...and worse we do not know we have no fucking idea until we actually start getting serious about employment.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Richland County DSS will fuck with you though.  The very first contact I had with their office was a letter informing me I'd missed my interview. :rolleyes:

I've got to refile anyway since my income has changed, and when I move at the end of the month I'll probably be ineligible--I don't know if they'll attribute the income of my friend and his mom to our "household," if I live in their attic, but they might.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2012, 12:55:15 PM
They also switched from Monopoly money to a fake credit card so people don't feel register shame.

Isn't easier to track the money and see what it is being spent on that way?  I mean I presume they did it for reasons other than the self esteem of food stampers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

I loved the food stamp monopoly money. THAT'S RIGHT! YOU ARE PAYING FOR MY MICRO MAGIC HAMBURGERS! HA HA!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2012, 12:56:34 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 03, 2012, 12:42:14 PM
While I'm sympathetic to Ide and his plight, young people and their choice of higher education generally sucks.

I started asking around to see what companies needed EE degreed peeps and man...I realized I have no idea WTF I am talking about or doing.  Fortunately I still have a couple years out before I have to do this in earnest.  We students really have no fucking idea...and worse we do not know we have no fucking idea until we actually start getting serious about employment.

You are studying Electrical Engineering?

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on February 03, 2012, 01:00:26 PM
You are studying Electrical Engineering?

Yep.  Second career.  My history degree (and even getting that was a fluke) didn't work out for some reason.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2012, 01:01:42 PM
  My history degree (and even getting that was a fluke) didn't work out for some reason.

Huh.

I'm not picking on you Val.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 03, 2012, 12:00:26 PMI know people who are 30 something and haven't been out of school since they started First Grade.  I think it should be looked at with an aim to supporting oneself after graduation as well as all that other stuff.

My wife is having trouble at work with people like this. They are being super selective about hiring because of the economy, so they're hiring people with more degrees. Problem is, those people have spent so much time in an academic environment, they have no skills with getting things done in the corporate world. Some catch on, and some don't. There has been a bunch of turnover due to this.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2012, 10:52:59 AM
QuoteA spokeswoman at Brooklyn Law told msnbc.com that the school had just gotten the complaint and was unable to comment on it. She did point out employment statistics for the class of 2010, reflected on the school's website, which showed an overall job placement rate of 88.1 percent.

This is kind of a funny response, because the principal allegation of the complaint is that the job placement rates are misleadingly calculated and reported.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on February 03, 2012, 01:03:58 PM
History degree? LOL

I only ended up with it because I was too emo to finish my senior physics project :blush:

My life really has been nuts since that fateful year.  Too long in school had officially driven me insane.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2012, 01:06:57 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 03, 2012, 01:03:58 PM
History degree? LOL

I only ended up with it because I was too emo to finish my senior physics project :blush:

My life really has been nuts since that fateful year.  Too long in school had officially driven me insane.

School sucked.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 03, 2012, 01:05:30 PM
This is kind of a funny response, because the principal allegation of the complaint is that the job placement rates are misleadingly calculated and reported.

What is it one of our grads was a law temp for a week so that counts?  Or does it even have to be legal work?