Crushing unemployment among the young people in the EU

Started by Martinus, February 01, 2012, 04:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on February 02, 2012, 06:10:45 AM

Uhm, no. This job requires creative thinking. That's the last thing you'd learn in the military. Plus you are comparing pest and cholera here. Someone who wasted 9+ months of their life on doing military service is going to be inferior to someone who spent this time learning something useful (or even someone 9 months younger who applies for the trainee programme). Sure, if you are comparing that to someone who wasted this 9 months on partying then you are probably correct, but we are not talking about this level.

Again, I suppose your mileage may vary, depending on the line of work. Lawyers recruited for my firm are supposed to be the creme de la creme, the best of the best the market has to offer - there is a reason why we almost always limit ourselves to recruiting people just from 2 or 3 universities in the country. We are not talking about a position where a pot smoking hippie may apply or be seriously considered (and where, therefore, someone with military training could be considered an improvement). The type of people who would get a military training in this country are below our notice to begin with.

And incidentally, the quality of the recruits has improved lately - people seem much more keen to work hard than 4 years ago or so - so at least the crisis has been good for one thing.
Presumably your law firm is hiring lawyers, so we're not talking about former infantry men but people who were military lawyers. What's wrong with them?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2012, 07:16:36 PM
To both of the above: :huh:

7 bucks and change an hour* ain't worth shit.

*may be more in some states.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I think 30 some states have a minwage higher than federal.

Ed Anger

Holy Crap, Ohio's is 7.70. Truly, they live like kings. No wonder I get such good service at Taco Bell.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

South Carolina's state motto: "If we could pay you less, we would."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

$7 doesn`t sound so bad compared to what we have in the UK. Less in terms of exchange rates but the way things tend to work is if something costs a pound in Britain it costs a dollar in the US.
I have heard though that a lot in the US don't get that due to the silly tipping system.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2012, 12:16:01 PM
Say someone goes on vacation for a month and you need someone to answer phones, or you have a big project and you need a bunch of people to sort through files.  Then your company calls up a temp agency which has a stable of people. 
My company is very good at hiring hot chick temps for projects like that, which is odd since the hiring managers are inevitably women.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2012, 07:16:36 PM
To both of the above: :huh:

I think Ide doesn't quite know what 'survive' means and if he doesn't think he can do that on minimum wage, well...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2012, 07:30:54 PM
I have heard though that a lot in the US don't get that due to the silly tipping system.

Their wages are shit, true (something like $2.25/hour), but tipped employees traditionally make quite a bit more.  I have a few friends that work as waiters at decent restaurants that are clearing $40k+/year.  Not living high on the hog, but it's a solid middle-class living.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 02, 2012, 07:23:53 PM
Holy Crap, Ohio's is 7.70. Truly, they live like kings. No wonder I get such good service at Taco Bell.

@Yi - Also cities can do stuff too. SF is now like 10.25 or something!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: Habbaku on February 02, 2012, 09:53:38 PM
Ide thinks the minimum wage should be ~$15/hour.
And $10 of that should be taxed to pay for people to not do robot work.