UK pretends it still has a navy; "Right wot's all this then", says Admiralty

Started by CountDeMoney, February 01, 2012, 01:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2012, 03:52:07 PM
Maybe the US could make the first step.  Like giving up Posada.  You know, the guy that blew up a Cuban airliner.

That never happened.  The US government has told me so.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Maybe the US could make the first step.  Like giving up Posada.  You know, the guy that blew up a Cuban airliner.

Or like allowing the export of food and medicine, and increasing remittance caps and allowing more emigre visits.

Cuba of course responded to this gesture by tossing the dudes who were passing around a petition for something allowed under the Cuban constitution into the gulag.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2012, 03:56:47 PM
Cuba of course responded to this gesture by tossing the dudes who were passing around a petition for something allowed under the Cuban constitution into the gulag.

Shame we can't throw our anti-Castros in jail.  Especially when they fly from Florida to violate Cuban airspace to drop leaflets.

Razgovory

Or like allowing the export of food and medicine, and increasing remittance caps and allowing more emigre visits.

Is there a point to this?  Or do you genuinely think we should play tit-for-tat with distributorships?  Perhaps we should embargo Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, China, Nigeria, Vietnam, Russia
etc until they go all find the power of true love, friendship and liberal democracy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 01, 2012, 04:00:50 PM

Shame we can't throw our anti-Castros in jail.  Especially when they fly from Florida to violate Cuban airspace to drop leaflets.

The exile community is a den of vipers.  And there are those in this country who have no problem sheltering mass murderers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2012, 04:02:48 PM
Is there a point to this?  Or do you genuinely think we should play tit-for-tat with distributorships?  Perhaps we should embargo Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, China, Nigeria, Vietnam, Russia
etc until they go all find the power of true love, friendship and liberal democracy.

You said maybe we should make the first move.  I pointed out that we already did.  If you're uncomfortable with that subject and would like to change to a different one, maybe you should have considered that before you introduced the subject.

I think tit for tat is a pretty good diplomatic strategy, but I fail to see how easing travel and trade restrictions on Cuba, then Cuba tossing activists in jail, is an example of the US playing tit for tat.  It's an example of Cuba playing tat.  I don't think Cuba should play tat, that's been my entire theme.

I don't think we should embargo the countries you've listed but feel free to make the case.

Ideologue

I think we should definitely embargo PRChina.  Saudi Arabia is too vital to embargo, but on the plus side it's pretty easy to colonize a desert nation with only like ten million people.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Fuck the Cubans. Fuck Castro and fuck the exiles. Piss on all foreigners.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

And tax H-1B visa holders at 100% once they surpass the 75th percentile wage in their country of origin.  SORRY, ROTW, WE'RE FULL.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2012, 04:10:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2012, 04:02:48 PM

You said maybe we should make the first move.  I pointed out that we already did.  If you're uncomfortable with that subject and would like to change to a different one, maybe you should have considered that before you introduced the subject.

I think tit for tat is a pretty good diplomatic strategy, but I fail to see how easing travel and trade restrictions on Cuba, then Cuba tossing activists in jail, is an example of the US playing tit for tat.  It's an example of Cuba playing tat.  I don't think Cuba should play tat, that's been my entire theme.

I don't think we should embargo the countries you've listed but feel free to make the case.

Fair enough, but why point out something has nothing to do with us?  Cuba tossed some guy in jail shouldn't bother our relations with them anymore then Germany should be bother because we execute someone in Texas.
And those countries I named tossed their own people in jail all the time.  Who cares?  If it's a game breaker for the US and Cuba why is it not a game breaker for the US and China?

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 01, 2012, 04:10:50 PM
I think we should definitely embargo PRChina.  Saudi Arabia is too vital to embargo, but on the plus side it's pretty easy to colonize a desert nation with only like ten million people.

Getting chummy with the Saudi fucks is one of the biggest blots on the West's integrity. I don't think there is a single family in the world, royal or otherwise, I'd like to see more executed with extreme prejudice than the House of Saud.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on February 01, 2012, 04:19:06 PM
And tax H-1B visa holders at 100% once they surpass the 75th percentile wage in their country of origin.  SORRY, ROTW, WE'RE FULL.

Hell, I'd cut the quotas for H1-B. Hire Americans first. Wanting to outsource? That'll be an extra 20% tax on income  Mr. Corporation. No deductions.

Ed Anger

And no more F-1 visas to students from the third world. Dirty fucks. Only if you can play football or basketball.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2012, 04:20:03 PM
Fair enough, but why point out something has nothing to do with us?  Cuba tossed some guy in jail shouldn't bother our relations with them anymore then Germany should be bother because we execute someone in Texas.
And those countries I named tossed their own people in jail all the time.  Who cares?  If it's a game breaker for the US and Cuba why is it not a game breaker for the US and China?

Do you think we should lift our sanctions against Myanmar?  Why should it bother us if they throw some mouthy broad in jail?  How about Syria?  Why should it bother us if shoot some rebels?