News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

What are you going to go see in Hwaeseong?  Do you mean the fortress wall in Suwon?

You should probably stop in Cheonan to see the nationalist museum.

Aside from that and the DMZ, I'd stay every day in Seoul. Busan is great in the summer, but  I doubt it will be warm enough to swim at the beach when you get there. When is your Spring break?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Yeah, Hwaseong Fortress, looks rather cool.

In theory it seems I've got the 26th March to 8th April. Am wanting to spend a few days after Korea in western Japan though. The plan is to head to Busan so I can take the ferry to an island I'd like to see en-route back to Japan.

Stay in Seoul huh?...so nothing much to see elsewhere?...I guess I could spend most of my time in Seoul but...I hate those people who say they've visited Britain and they've only ever been to London. Capitals tend not to represent countries at all. Surely there's decent stuff elsewhere too?
How about Gyeongju? I hear its the Korean Kyoto/Nara?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Literally half the population lives in the Seoul/Gyeonggi-do metro area, so yeah, aside from the histroical and nature stuff, everything you'd want to do is there. Tons of great museums in Seoul though for the historical minded.

I've been all over the north half of the ROK, but aside from Busan I haven't anywhere in the southern half.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Korea's not going to match Japan for scenic beauty Squeeze.

If you feel compelled to see something outside Seoul, go to Kyongju.  An old capital (Silla Dyansty?), maybe roughly analogous to Kyoto.

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 11:47:27 AM
Korea's not going to match Japan for scenic beauty Squeeze.

If you feel compelled to see something outside Seoul, go to Kyongju.  An old capital (Silla Dyansty?), maybe roughly analogous to Kyoto.
It's really far south, near Busan. So, if you want to see that you'll have to do it at the end of your trip. Travel to Busan a day early and set up base there. I've heard it's pretty good.

Skip the Baekje capital in Gongju though.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 04:43:44 PM
Timmy mongered! :o
It's hard for me to know what cities you mean since you use the old transliteration.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 04:43:44 PM
Timmy mongered! :o

A damned Rican is busting on you for your Korean transliteration.  Are you going to stand for that Yi?   :secret:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2013, 04:54:33 PM
A damned Rican is busting on you for your Korean transliteration.  Are you going to stand for that Yi?   :secret:

The Korean government made the change, sort of like the Chinese switch from Pinyin-Wade to Whateverthefuck.  I can hardly bust on him for that.  And so many other things to bust on him for.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 05:04:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2013, 04:54:33 PM

The Korean government made the change, sort of like the Chinese switch from Pinyin-Wade to Whateverthefuck.  I can hardly bust on him for that.  And so many other things to bust on him for.

Wade-Giles to Pinyin.

jimmy olsen

I've recently posted over 200 pictures from Korea and Taiwan on facebook,  so those have friended me through the Languish page, if you're interested in getting a look at the war museum, etc, take a look. 

1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Its becoming set in stone.
26th March fly to Seoul.
I've cancelled my idea to visit Tsushima, it seems much too complicated for what was just going to be a few hour little adventure. I looked into Seoul-Fukuoka flights instead but that is proving a total pain to find. Hard to use sites that shout at me for wanting one way only and saying you need a return or you can't get on the plane (WTF?).
So...I think I'm looking at maybe on the 1st taking the ferry direct from Busan to Fukuoka- really have to investigate that city and its famed bustiest girls in Japan for a few days before returning home for the big local festival on the 6th.
Will spend just a day or so in the south of Korea before that so I can get a taste of weekend life in Seoul. What one thing should I see in the south?
Gyongju? (Timothy says ney? what for?) Seokguram? Yonggunsa/Busan? Dunno if any of this means anything but google earth should at me that these are sights in the area.
Any guesses how much money should I take? Any area in particular I should aim to avoid/stay hotel wise?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2013, 01:04:56 AM
Its becoming set in stone.
26th March fly to Seoul.
I've cancelled my idea to visit Tsushima, it seems much too complicated for what was just going to be a few hour little adventure. I looked into Seoul-Fukuoka flights instead but that is proving a total pain to find. Hard to use sites that shout at me for wanting one way only and saying you need a return or you can't get on the plane (WTF?).
So...I think I'm looking at maybe on the 1st taking the ferry direct from Busan to Fukuoka- really have to investigate that city and its famed bustiest girls in Japan for a few days before returning home for the big local festival on the 6th.
Will spend just a day or so in the south of Korea before that so I can get a taste of weekend life in Seoul. What one thing should I see in the south?
Gyongju? (Timothy says ney? what for?) Seokguram? Yonggunsa/Busan? Dunno if any of this means anything but google earth should at me that these are sights in the area.
Any guesses how much money should I take? Any area in particular I should aim to avoid/stay hotel wise?
How many days are you going to be in Korea? Just 4-5 days? Don't even stop in the south then, immediately jump on the KTX for Seoul

1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

I said I'm flying to Seoul.
The ferry is to get back to Japan
4 days+the day I get there for sure. Maybe an extra day of staying there before leaving, maybe I leave on the 6th day, maybe the 7th, unsure at the moment. Really want to have some time in Kyushu too- have to investigate Fukuoka for professional reasons as well as general touristyness.

I guess I need 1 day DMZ, 1 day general stuff in Seoul and 1 day Hwaseong?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It think you to give the tour agency your passport (maybe a scan would suffice? :unsure: ) if you wont to get into the restritcted area, otherwise you'd only need a half day for DMZ stuff like visiting the tunnel, looking over the border with binoculars, etc.

1 Karma Chameleon point