News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chiropractors

Started by PRC, March 12, 2009, 11:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are Chiropractors Legitimate Medical Practitioners or are they Quacks?

Chiropractors are Legitimate
14 (30.4%)
Chiropractors are Quacks
20 (43.5%)
Don't Know
12 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

PRC

I've got some lower back pain at the moment and several colleagues are suggesting I go see a Chiropractor while several other colleagues are suggesting that Chiropractors are just quacks and are not legitimate medical practitioners.  I've never been to one, never really heard the positive or negative reviews of them one way or another so I bring this poll to the masses. 

What is the opinion of Languish on Chiropractors?

derspiess

Never visited one, so I don't have anything to go on.  But what else are you going to do if you have back problems?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tiamat

Quacks. But if your pain problem is all in your head, you'll find chiropractors to be excellent medical practitioners.

Tiamat

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2009, 11:21:11 AM
Never visited one, so I don't have anything to go on.  But what else are you going to do if you have back problems?
Visit an orthopedic surgeon, neurosurgeon, or physiatrist.

Vince

Legit.  Been going to one for 8 years.  The people that call them quacks have never gone to one.

Korea

I once had a chiropractor give me a sample back and neck fixin...I was in horrible pain for the next two weeks.  >:(
I want my mother fucking points!

Darth Wagtaros

Steal oxycotin and drink a lot.
PDH!

Barrister

But what else are you going to do if you have back problems?

Massage therapist / physiotherapist.

There are all kinds of problems with chiropractors, and some limited goodness.  Chiropracty started out with some absolutely outrageous claims - that almost everything health-related can be tied to sublimations of the disks of your spine.  There has never been any medical evidence to this effect.

Chiropractors do give some short term relief of pain, so in that I guess they do some good.  It is not a long-term solution to anything however - it's never a "get your spine manipulated 6 times then you'll be good".  You'll always be going to your chiropractor.

And there's the small but real risk of strokes / aneurysms that are connected to spine manipulation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Vince on March 12, 2009, 11:23:32 AM
Legit.  Been going to one for 8 years.  The people that call them quacks have never gone to one.

Why do you have to keep going for 8 years?  If they could truly fix you you wouldn't have to keep going...

Tiamat

This is what we call a placebo effect.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 11:28:20 AM

I used to watch you on the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.  You do good work.
PDH!

Tiamat

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2009, 11:27:20 AM

Why do you have to keep going for 8 years?  If they could truly fix you you wouldn't have to keep going...
Although I agree with you in general about chiropractors, this reasoning is faulty when it comes to chronic conditions. There is value in medicine that truly manages the symptoms.

Vince

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2009, 11:27:20 AM

They adjust your spine so you have to go back every 6 weeks or so to get readjusted

Vince

Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 11:28:20 AM

It fucking works that's all I care about.   :P

Barrister

Quote from: Vince on March 12, 2009, 11:33:04 AM
They adjust your spine so you have to go back every 6 weeks or so to get readjusted

It's quite the racket they have going, isn't it.

Vince - what is your medical concern?  Have you seen a doctor about it, or even better, a physiotherapist?