News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chiropractors

Started by PRC, March 12, 2009, 11:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are Chiropractors Legitimate Medical Practitioners or are they Quacks?

Chiropractors are Legitimate
14 (30.4%)
Chiropractors are Quacks
20 (43.5%)
Don't Know
12 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Tiamat

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2009, 12:13:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2009, 11:52:49 AM
They're part of a unique federation because doctors, by and large, do not recognize chiropracty as a medical treatment.  The doctros medical federations won't allow chiropractors to join their organization.
Yeah, and they won't allow lawyers, either!  ;D
This makes sense. Neither chiropractors nor lawyers practice medicine based upon medical science.

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on March 12, 2009, 12:11:10 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2009, 12:08:16 PM
For my lower back pain, i went to an MD for almost 5 months with nothing but temporary relief.  Six visits to the chiropractor and the pain was gone for good.

Not all chiropractors are high enough level successfully lay on hands.
Agreed.  Not all chiropractors are good ones (just like doctors, and, as we see on languish, lawyers), and not all problems they are willing to treat are best treated by chiropractics (again, just like doctors and lawyers).

I was once as ignorant and prejudiced against chiropractors as, say, Fate or Beeb.  I have learned differently from personal experience.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tiamat

Vince and Grumbler, perhaps you should look into healing magnets:

PRC

Ok well, I can see that the opinion here is just as split as in my office.  All right, well I will go see the Chiropractor recommended by my colleague and judge for myself.

grumbler

Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 12:16:05 PM
This makes sense. Neither chiropractors nor lawyers practice medicine
Fixed.  Chiropractics is not medicine, any more than any other physical therapy is.  Physical therapists aren't in the AMA either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

grumbler's support has convinced me that they are quacks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 12:18:39 PM
Vince and Grumbler, perhaps you should look into healing magnets:

Nah, I'll leave that kind of stuff to you.  If you think it works on yourself, then more power to ya.  Just don't rely on magnets for everything; moderation in all things is the key.

Bayraktar!

Tiamat

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2009, 12:20:11 PM
Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 12:16:05 PM
This makes sense. Neither chiropractors nor lawyers practice medicine
hiropractics is not medicine, any more than any other physical therapy is.
Chiropractics is based upon neither medicine nor science. The best descriptor would be a cult.

However, physical therapy is a field of medical science.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2009, 12:21:27 PM
Still irked by the joke, eh?  ;D

Bayraktar!

Evil Spock

I'd have to say quackery. They make you feel good in the short term but do nothing for your back health in the long term. Yoga is better.

grumbler

Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 12:22:10 PM
Chiropractics is based upon neither medicine nor science. The best descriptor would be a cult.
...says the guy trying to push "healing magnets"!  :D

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2009, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2009, 12:21:27 PM
Still irked by the joke, eh?  ;D

Never forgive, never forget. That's my motto.

Tiamat

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2009, 12:23:58 PM
Quote from: Tiamat on March 12, 2009, 12:22:10 PM
...says the guy trying to push "healing magnets"!  :D
Healing magnets are no less effective at curing pain than chiropractors. Plus they accessorize well.  ;D

Chiropractics is not based upon science. I see that you are avoiding this fact.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2009, 12:11:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2009, 11:27:20 AM
Quote from: Vince on March 12, 2009, 11:23:32 AM
Legit.  Been going to one for 8 years.  The people that call them quacks have never gone to one.

Why do you have to keep going for 8 years?  If they could truly fix you you wouldn't have to keep going...
Exactly.  It is like boneheads who go see their doctor every year.  Why bother/  If the doctor was any good, he would make them permanently healthy, and if he isn't good there is no sense going to see him.

It's good to see that you're keeping it classy and not making it personal grumbler.

I'm glad the chiro you went to only gave a few adjustments and stopped.  Obviously when speaking in generalities I can't speak for every chiro everywhere.  I have heard way too many stories of chiros prescribing a lifetime of adjustments such as Vince described.

There's a pretty clear difference between a doctor's physical check-up, and regular spinal manipulations.  The doctor will administer tests and if everything is healthy no new treatment will be administered.  I suspect that an annual visit to a chiro will involve an annual manipulation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain