Medieval History and the American Western

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 27, 2012, 01:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Drakken on January 28, 2012, 01:46:27 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2012, 10:08:32 PM
How long did they last?  I know many confederate officers went on to important politicians.  Hell, one went on to be a general in the Spanish American war.

Until 1953, when all convicted that were still alive were amnistied of these charges.

The huge crowds of celebrating ex-rebs must have been quite a sight.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 28, 2012, 01:27:26 AM
Like Robert Brasillach, the only (AFAIK) person actually executed for "intellectual crimes," in the atmosphere of 44.  If he'd made it until 45-46, I think he would've ended up like Céline, with a short period of imprisonment and civil death.

There was a handful of others. Some other journalists and writers were also executed, even if Brasillach was the most well-known (Paul Chack, Georges Suares).
Que le grand cric me croque !

PDH

What I got from this thread is that Medieval France seems to have hung on a lot longer than I suspected...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on January 27, 2012, 10:46:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2012, 10:08:32 PM
How long did they last?  I know many confederate officers went on to important politicians.  Hell, one went on to be a general in the Spanish American war.

The "Ironclad Oath" was passed in 1862, and in 1865 was extended to all attorneys.  In 1866 it was struck down, at least with respect to attorneys (and in 1867 as to priests).

That's not very long at all. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 27, 2012, 03:51:46 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 27, 2012, 03:37:52 PM
Cornell University recently commissioned a translation of Barthelemy's 1997 book, which includes revisions to the text, new chapters and updated citiations - that is what I am reading now.

Interesting. I imagine there is a preface / presentation, either by Barthélémy or some anglophone scholar?

Barthelemy wrote a short prefatory and a short concluding chapter.  Haven't reached the last yet. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson