Medieval History and the American Western

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 27, 2012, 01:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 27, 2012, 06:34:15 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 27, 2012, 03:31:35 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on January 27, 2012, 03:07:41 PMlikewise, this was post-war France, after all, where violence by armed bands, the expurgation of collaborators, the transformative power of the Libération probably were much more present...
I'm curious about these armed bands in post war France. What's that all about?

It's called in French the épuration: basically, it is the hunt, by members of the various factions of the résistance, of people associated with Vichy (collaborateurs), coupled with some actual fighting by former partisans of Vichy.  Historian Henry Rousso estimates the number of summary executions at between 8000 and 9000 following the Libération.

Wow, that is some rough justice.  Is there an indication that people took advantage of this opportunity to off rivals who may not necessarily have been Vichy.

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 27, 2012, 06:34:15 PM
It's called in French the épuration: basically, it is the hunt, by members of the various factions of the résistance, of people associated with Vichy (collaborateurs), coupled with some actual fighting by former partisans of Vichy.  Historian Henry Rousso estimates the number of summary executions at between 8000 and 9000 following the Libération.

Interesting. I vaguely remember a French comic book on the subject... maybe calle the Black and the Red or something like that, but that's about all I've ever heard about it.

I mean, I assume that collaborators were liquidated after liberation, but I never really knew it was an extended period.

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2012, 06:39:36 PM
Wow, that is some rough justice.  Is there an indication that people took advantage of this opportunity to off rivals who may not necessarily have been Vichy.

Absolutely. But it seems to have been fewer than what was expected / feared - though of course it is incredibly difficult to get a good sense of what were true grievances. Also, note that the number includes peoples who were assassinated as a result of a concerted policy of résistance in places still either occupied or in the process of being liberated, and some who were executed under ad hoc "tribunals" - as the new order was not quite in place. These numbers also dwarf the number of individuals who, in turn, were indeed judged by the new tribunals (about 130 000 by 1948).

All in all, that must have been a pretty extraordinary (in the proper sense) period.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Jacob on January 27, 2012, 06:51:54 PM
I mean, I assume that collaborators were liquidated after liberation, but I never really knew it was an extended period.

Liquidation per se was immediately after the Liberation (1944-1945). "Legal purge" continued until the 1950s, with death penalty or "civic death" being meted out.

Oexmelin

Well, it's not quite civic death - rather "national indignity". People found guilty of national indignity were stripped of various civic rights (voting rights, eligibility, excluded from civil service, from the bar, from various public professions, from rank in the army, stripping of medals, etc.)

Scipio

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 27, 2012, 07:47:50 PM
Well, it's not quite civic death - rather "national indignity". People found guilty of national indignity were stripped of various civic rights (voting rights, eligibility, excluded from civil service, from the bar, from various public professions, from rank in the army, stripping of medals, etc.)
Sweet.  A bill of attainder.  How positively medieval.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Oexmelin

Considering it followed a Nazi collaborationist regime, which had used military defeat to effectively toppled the Republic, I figure it was a pretty small price to pay - the Italian Civil War served as a good example of what not to do...

I seem to recall the Union used very similar measures during the Reconstruction.

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 27, 2012, 08:46:43 PM
Considering it followed a Nazi collaborationist regime, which had used military defeat to effectively toppled the Republic, I figure it was a pretty small price to pay - the Italian Civil War served as a good example of what not to do...

I seem to recall the Union used very similar measures during the Reconstruction.

If only. :glare:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2012, 09:40:11 PM

If only. :glare:

No, the Union did.  Like "couldn't be a teacher or a lawyer if you had been a rebel."  Those were overturned by the Supreme Court IIRC.

Razgovory

How long did they last?  I know many confederate officers went on to important politicians.  Hell, one went on to be a general in the Spanish American war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2012, 10:08:32 PM
How long did they last?  I know many confederate officers went on to important politicians.  Hell, one went on to be a general in the Spanish American war.

The "Ironclad Oath" was passed in 1862, and in 1865 was extended to all attorneys.  In 1866 it was struck down, at least with respect to attorneys (and in 1867 as to priests).

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 27, 2012, 07:04:39 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 27, 2012, 06:51:54 PM

Liquidation per se was immediately after the Liberation (1944-1945). "Legal purge" continued until the 1950s, with death penalty or "civic death" being meted out.

Like Robert Brasillach, the only (AFAIK) person actually executed for "intellectual crimes," in the atmosphere of 44.  If he'd made it until 45-46, I think he would've ended up like Céline, with a short period of imprisonment and civil death.

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Drakken

Especially a Nazi collaborationist regime which many of its foremost members, either intellectuals or officers - Petain included, were actually covertly taking Germany's side in 1939 in private talks because France was, in their eyes, fighting the wrong enemy rather than the Commies and Stalin's stooges. Some of them - Petain still included, were suspected to have fought or ran the war half-assed until Germany ran over France, wishing Germany's victory. And finally remains the only government of an Allied country to become a satellite of Nazi Germany of its own free will, even though the dying government of the IIIrd Republic had already been overtaken by Petain by that time. Even Leopold III, captured he was, refused to administer or sanction any Belgian government of Hitler's choosing after his surrender.

They got off quite lightly compared to, say, Norway.

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2012, 10:08:32 PM

Until 1953, when all convicted that were still alive were amnistied of these charges.