News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Italy and the Roma

Started by jimmy olsen, January 30, 2012, 05:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Looks like Naples is currently having the same weather we're having here: cold enough to make it miserable when it rains, but not cold enough to snow :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Plus Naples has the unique odor of the unwashed wops mingling with the smell of the uncollected garbage.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2012, 05:10:32 AM
Couple of points:

-disgusting behavior by the Italians in this particular case, no doubt about it, but in regards to the general issue one must, as always, raise the question: if the Roma always manage to totally alienate themselves from settled-down populations, even those who otherwise co-exist peacefully with other minorities, maybe just MAYBE, just for a tincy-wincy bit this is influenced by the unique aspects of their culture and it's suggested behavioral patterns toward outsiders. As I said, just maybe.

Oh, yeah, when I think of Europeans, I immediately think of a tolerant bunch who accord mighty respect to ethnic minorities, and never, ever do anything bad to them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Iormlund

I love Gypsy threads on Languish. :cool:

HVC

i'm related to gypsies. The iberian kind, not the romanian ones. i think they're differnet anyway.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on January 30, 2012, 12:43:16 PM
i'm related to gypsies. The iberian kind, not the romanian ones. i think they're differnet anyway.

Yes, they sing flamenco instead of turbo folk.  :lol:

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on January 30, 2012, 12:48:55 PM

Yes, they sing flamenco instead of turbo folk.  :lol:
Portuguese iberian, so no flamenco... but plenty of knife fights :lol: And my favourite story is when one of them renamed his kid Ben-hur after watchign the movie in the theater hah
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on January 30, 2012, 01:55:38 PM
i'm related to gypsies.

My first ignore poster. :)
lol. if it makes you feel any better i have no gypsy blood in my. great uncle married a gypsy woman.

Josephus

You're not supposed to marry gypsy women. A quick $10 blow job behind the trailer park is all.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

I remember this article from before too.  I think I related the story about how a McDonalds I visited in Genoa was full of Roma, and how they were all over the place in Florence trying to pickpocket tourists; the chicks would distract you and then their kids would try to pickpocket you.  Disgusting filth, using their kids that way. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

For some reason they reminded me of Jawas though. :)

Siege

I am disgusted by the racism of the italians.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on January 30, 2012, 07:37:45 PM
I remember this article from before too.  I think I related the story about how a McDonalds I visited in Genoa was full of Roma, and how they were all over the place in Florence trying to pickpocket tourists; the chicks would distract you and then their kids would try to pickpocket you.  Disgusting filth, using their kids that way. :mad:

It's pretty easy to just scream at people trying to pickpocket you.  That's what I did last time I was in Atlanta.  I ain't 'fraid of no poor.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

They didn't try to pickpocket me (though from how I wrote my post it might seem that way).