News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weird use of 'diversity' as a euphemism

Started by Valmy, January 27, 2012, 04:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

@Marti - I suspect it would be higher, but there are some important distorting factors.

Firstly, gay people often spend time in the closet and then come out. So, to take your case as an example, in the early stages of your career, on a smaller salary, you would be counted as non-gay (I guess).

Another factor might be that people in lower income groups are less likely to come out due to greater homophobia in those circles. Or, as with a number of people that I know, they were "hetero" in their godforsaken pit villages in Durham, but openly gay as soon as they got to London or Brighton - a move which also resulted in higher incomes.

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 28, 2012, 04:35:24 AM
@Marti - I suspect it would be higher, but there are some important distorting factors.

Firstly, gay people often spend time in the closet and then come out. So, to take your case as an example, in the early stages of your career, on a smaller salary, you would be counted as non-gay (I guess).

Another factor might be that people in lower income groups are less likely to come out due to greater homophobia in those circles. Or, as with a number of people that I know, they were "hetero" in their godforsaken pit villages in Durham, but openly gay as soon as they got to London or Brighton - a move which also resulted in higher incomes.

Actually, while you make some good points, I earlier thought about it and reached completely opposite conclusions. :D

There are many low paid jobs where you can be openly gay and this will not hurt you in any meaningful way. On the other hand (while it is changing), most high paid job positions (excluding some outliers like entertainment) are fairly homophobic old boys' networks - law firms, boardrooms and halls of power are imo more likely to be riddled with closeted (or at least closeted on a much deeper level) gays (and also have less gays, whether closeted or not, in general) than beauty parlors and H&M stores.

How many openly gay people are there on Forbes' top 100 richest people lists?

The Brain

Leave the H&M stores out of this please.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on January 28, 2012, 04:45:34 AM

Why? They are like hives for gay activity.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on January 28, 2012, 04:46:24 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 28, 2012, 04:45:34 AM

Why? They are like hives for gay activity.

Keep Swedish companies out of this.

Richard Hakluyt

There might be a difference between Poland and the UK here, or perhaps I am simply ignorant of how homophobic people are at the top levels.

Another factor is that having children is a great motivator to get out there and make money, so it may be that a lot of gay people are not so driven as their hetero-with-kids counterparts. I read an interesting article a few years ago about how much women earned by ethnicity in the UK. Apparently the highest earning group were African-Carribean women. Two things about that group, a high proportion live in London and they also have the highest proportion of single parents.

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 28, 2012, 04:49:24 AM
There might be a difference between Poland and the UK here, or perhaps I am simply ignorant of how homophobic people are at the top levels.

Another factor is that having children is a great motivator to get out there and make money, so it may be that a lot of gay people are not so driven as their hetero-with-kids counterparts. I read an interesting article a few years ago about how much women earned by ethnicity in the UK. Apparently the highest earning group were African-Carribean women. Two things about that group, a high proportion live in London and they also have the highest proportion of single parents.

Man, don't give me the "UK is a paradise" spiel. Any changes in this regard are a product of the last decade and they didn't take much hold yet.  :lol:

The Brain

I don't think bringing in a gay outlier like the UK adds much to the discussion.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Martinus on January 28, 2012, 05:01:31 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 28, 2012, 04:49:24 AM

Man, don't give me the "UK is a paradise" spiel. Any changes in this regard are a product of the last decade and they didn't take much hold yet.  :lol:

One interesting factoid for you, there are 5,000 professional football players in England.............none of them are gay  :P

dps

Quote from: Tyr on January 27, 2012, 10:48:37 PM
America is doing it totally the wrong way. Race shouldn't matter at all for university entry these days.
What should matter however is wealth.
Poor white kids don't deserve to be lumped in with the rich white kids who traditionally dominate, they belong more with the poor black kids who traditionally were screwed over but now get a big leg up...as do the rich black kids.
If Asians want to study hard then all power to them- though I do hope universities consider more than pure test scores in picking their students.

I don't think that you understand how university admissions work in the US.  A lot of American colleges and universities have open admissions--basically, if you have a high school diploma or a GED, you can get in.  Now that doesn't hold true with the more elite schools, but your typical state school, yeah.

garbon

Quote from: dps on January 28, 2012, 06:15:02 AM
I don't think that you understand how university admissions work in the US.  A lot of American colleges and universities have open admissions--basically, if you have a high school diploma or a GED, you can get in.  Now that doesn't hold true with the more elite schools, but your typical state school, yeah.

Maybe the schools that are causing a university college to be useless. If there isn't some toil to get into college (even if that toil is just getting good grades at a junior college and then transferring to a UC), what's the point?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

It isn't the getting in to college, it's the getting out with a degree.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on January 28, 2012, 11:30:26 AM

Which is trivially easy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Over 40 percent of people don't complete a 4 year degree in even 6 years, indicating achieving a degree is not trivially easy.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2012, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: ulmont on January 28, 2012, 11:30:26 AM

Which is trivially easy.

For you.  My livelihood depends on repeat customers :)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM