News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weird use of 'diversity' as a euphemism

Started by Valmy, January 27, 2012, 04:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Minorities that are successful cease to be treated as minorities, hence the idea that minorities do badly because of nasty white people can be maintained.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2012, 04:52:10 PM
The thing I don't get is how Latinos made the cut but Asians didn't.
Failure to organise politically?
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 27, 2012, 05:49:48 PM
Minorities that are successful cease to be treated as minorities, hence the idea that minorities do badly because of nasty white people can be maintained.

What about gays? We are richer and have better jobs on average, yet we are considered a minority. :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2012, 04:29:44 PM
Asians are aparently not people of color. 

Well, milky-light-yellow is not much of a color, to be honest. Try painting your walls with that - it comes off almost as white.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2012, 06:03:42 PM

What about gays? We are richer and have better jobs on average, yet we are considered a minority. :hmm:

Are you?

I hadn't heard that is the case, higher disposable incomes certainly, but maybe not absolute incomes.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2012, 06:06:07 PM

Well, milky-light-yellow is not much of a color, to be honest. Try painting your walls with that - it comes off almost as white.

That's just the Japanese.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2012, 04:33:58 PM
Asians don't enjoy protected minority status.  Is that news to you?

Why do you think I vote Republican?

I thought it was because your parents were rich and you didn't want to pay taxes on their estate when they finally die.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Is that why you pretend to be gay?  So we'll think you are rich and have a good job?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2012, 06:06:07 PM

Um...Indians and Pakistanis?  We have at least as many of them as East Asians here in Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

America is doing it totally the wrong way. Race shouldn't matter at all for university entry these days.
What should matter however is wealth.
Poor white kids don't deserve to be lumped in with the rich white kids who traditionally dominate, they belong more with the poor black kids who traditionally were screwed over but now get a big leg up...as do the rich black kids.
If Asians want to study hard then all power to them- though I do hope universities consider more than pure test scores in picking their students.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2012, 04:33:58 PM
Asians don't enjoy protected minority status.  Is that news to you?

Why do you think I vote Republican?

Qualified evil.

:P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Mr.Penguin

A sexual minority, there is a difference, you know... 
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 27, 2012, 06:13:20 PM

Are you?

I hadn't heard that is the case, higher disposable incomes certainly, but maybe not absolute incomes.

I would actually be curious how the average income/wealth level compares for gays/lesbians and non-gays/lesbians.