The most unexpected popculture icon of the last decade?

Started by Martinus, January 26, 2012, 09:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Gups on January 26, 2012, 12:47:57 PM
Quote from: Brazen on January 26, 2012, 12:07:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2012, 11:58:28 AM
That's a dude??
Yeah, ain't he purdy?

Just read back and saw "no people". Ah well, it gave me free rein to Google Cox pictures :P

You're a wife of Brian, would have guessed it...

I think Labour probably lost votes in 97 thanks to that bloody awful song.

"How can you say that, it's the most aammazzing, fantasssticc...

[stage direction -  packs bag, hails a taxi, arrives at airport, pays cab driver, walks into terminal, shot of him pulling his luggage, long shot of walking with luggage, arrives at check-in, acknowledges other travellers, check-in girls swoon, baggage weighed, shot of walking to VIP lounge, pleasant conversation with earnest student types, coffee drunk, call to flight, suddenly ensconced in 1st class, reclining in luxury chair, smiles, shot from chase plane of airliner passing over clouds, close up of Brian sleeping, more shots from chase plane of sun rising over cloudscape, cut to ground camera team filming the airliner as it flies overhead on approach to airport runway, aircraft lands, cue tracking shot from 4x4 driving alongside airliner.  Plane slows, tension builds, atmospheric music bubbles from underneath. Track plane from multiple camera positions as it taxis towards bay.  Close up shot of aircraft wheels coming to a halt, more tension is built by the gradually building symphonic music.  Montage of different angles show the aircraft at halt. Music builds, airport stairs brought to plane door, slight pause, door opens, two neat stewardesses exit and stand either side of the door, Brian exits, stops, smiles, looks about airport/to middle distance, more stewardess swooning, Brian raises hand in salute to who knows what. He steps over the fainted cabin crew, purposely, but still slowly, walks down stairs, cut to a close shot of him passing at about 6ft from ground, slight pause, as first foot touches the tarmac, music begins to subside. Suddenly, cut to shot of helicopter in flight, jumpcut like fuck for 2 to 3 minutes as helicopter gets ever nearer, music builds again. Suddenly/eventually the unmarked helicopter lands, close in shot of pilot giving the thumps up. Cut to shot of Brian smiling, slightly but firmly smiling. (in background medics arrive, race up aircraft steps to revive cabin crew) Shot of helicopter rotors slowing, light twiddly music, rotors stops, Brian pauses, then takes a tentative step, close up of feet, more steps, further steps, pull out to show Brian arriving at open helicopter door, pilot thumbs up, Brian smiles ( or maybe it's a smirk ?) pause to look back at airport, then enters helicopter. Shot of door closing, rotors begin to spin up, wider shot of helicopter in airport surround. Sound of helicopter engines ramped up, music mixed out, shot of Brian smiling settling into seat, cut to shot of helicopter leaving the ground, pan up as it takes to the air, still quite a close cropped shot.  Then cut to shot from chase helicopter, showing Brian's helicopter majestically rising above airport, helicopter banks over suburbs and heads towards open country, inside cabin Brian getting comfortable and putting on flight headset and mike. Aerial shot of helicopter flying off towards horizon. Cut to shot from 2nd chase helicopter as Brian's flies fast towards it, then swoops under it and track to it flying again towards horizon, sound of engines reduced, slight tingly hippy-shit music brought up (couldn't afford Pink Floyd), shot of inside helicopter, Brian smiles, pilot give thumbs up, music builds, Brian adjusts headset, looks about him, shot from inside cabin showing outside view, cut back to Brian, smiling slightly less, opens mouth, music just audible ]

.... song. "

[Fade to black]

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Agreed on the v for vendetta mask, that is just weird. Lets all dress like a religious extremist to protest against fascism, woo!

The my little pony thing is something which really freaks me out. I just don't get it at all. A semi-popular 80s cartoon for little girls is now liked by a bunch of guys for some reason?
██████
██████
██████

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on January 26, 2012, 06:49:38 PM
Agreed on the v for vendetta mask, that is just weird. Lets all dress like a religious extremist to protest against fascism, woo!

No I think you'll find they're using the Moore and Lloyd creation as a symbol of anarchists fighting a fascist state; I think you can argue that this cultural motif now far exceeds the original element of a mask that looks like a representation of Guy Fawkes.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Siege

The Master Chief, of course.
Greatest pop icon of the last decade.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Huh.  I guess those guys don't recognize that you need an atmosphere for a parachute to work.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

You are clearly one of these people who don't get it, aren't you? "OMG swastika is an ancient solar symbol, it has nothing to do with nazis".  :rolleyes:
Symbols change meaning. Film at 11.

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on January 26, 2012, 07:05:34 PM

No I think you'll find they're using the Moore and Lloyd creation as a symbol of anarchists fighting a fascist state; I think you can argue that this cultural motif now far exceeds the original element of a mask that looks like a representation of Guy Fawkes.

Yup. Although I still found it somewhat ironic (but in a good way) when Polish opposition MPs used it yesterday to protect against the signing of ACTA by the Polish government. I mean, both Fawkes and V kinda were about blowing up their symbolic workplace. :P

I loved some clueless Polish journo however who went "So, uhm, why are you wearing Joker masks?" :bleeding:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

szmik

Me living under the rock would have to know it to count.  :D

Which would leave Che and Apple, but both are 90s.  <_<

"Yes, we can" is the winner for me, even if it's not an icon per se.

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Barrister

Quote from: szmik on January 28, 2012, 02:41:35 PM

The Apple logo goes back to the 70s, and was popularized in the 80s. :contract:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

szmik

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2012, 03:10:54 PM
Quote from: szmik on January 28, 2012, 02:41:35 PM

The Apple logo goes back to the 70s, and was popularized in the 80s. :contract:

not behind Iron Curtain  :secret: 80s around here = Atari, Commodore, ZX Spectrum, Amiga
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

CountDeMoney

Leave it to Poles to use the props of a shitty, second-rate superhero flick as political symbolism.  What, Ben Affleck's Daredevil suit wasn't available?