The most unexpected popculture icon of the last decade?

Started by Martinus, January 26, 2012, 09:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I'm not talking about people but symbols. Like the nazi swastika or the can of Campbell soup from Warhol paintings. What is the most unexpected icon that paved its way into mass popculture awareness of the last decade?

To me it's the Guy Fawkes's mask from "V for Vendetta". It's nearly ubiquituous (today Polish opposition party members wore it in a Polish Parliament - of all places  :lol: - to protest against Poland signing ACTA - an international treaty introducing similar measures as SOPA) and like any good popculture icons, it seems to be used by people who are apparently completely unaware of its origins or context.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

That mass murdering commie Che guy's shirt graces the t-shirts of dirtbags everywhere.
PDH!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 26, 2012, 09:38:28 AM
That mass murdering commie Che guy's shirt graces the t-shirts of dirtbags everywhere.

They are not dirtbags, they are Cubans & he's an hero to them.

Seriously, they peedle you his face on fucking everything at every corner. It's annoying at best.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

The last decade? That's been around for a while.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Don't see it much in the US.  Did see it in Euroland.  Some of the stuff that is popular on the net has found a life outside the computers.  Which I find weird.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on January 26, 2012, 09:45:20 AM

The last decade? That's been around for a while.

What he said. In fact I think it's not as popular anymore like it used in the 90s.

Monoriu

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on January 26, 2012, 10:31:02 AM
Apple and everything associated with it.
How original.  :rolleyes:  I was going to say Apple myself.

Brazen

Quote from: DGuller on January 26, 2012, 11:33:16 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 26, 2012, 10:31:02 AM
Apple and everything associated with it.
How original.  :rolleyes:  I was going to say Apple myself.
That's not really unexpected. The Linux penguin, however, is. Just saw a guy with it on a t-shirt.

Brazen

I would put forward particle physicist Prof Brian Cox as most unexpected pop-culture icon of the last decade. Once the keyboard player in a 90s pop group whose one-hit-wonder song was held responsible  for Labour's last general election win, he has become far more famous as a popular TV physicist. 

Here's just one of the t-shirts you can get:

Brazen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2012, 11:58:28 AM
That's a dude??
Yeah, ain't he purdy?

Just read back and saw "no people". Ah well, it gave me free rein to Google Cox pictures :P

garbon

I only know of Marti's first thing as something that actually happened in the past decade. The others either started earlier or I've never heard of.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: Brazen on January 26, 2012, 12:07:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2012, 11:58:28 AM
That's a dude??
Yeah, ain't he purdy?

Just read back and saw "no people". Ah well, it gave me free rein to Google Cox pictures :P

You're a wife of Brian, would have guessed it...

I think Labour probably lost votes in 97 thanks to that bloody awful song.