News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iraq falling apart?

Started by Kleves, January 23, 2012, 10:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on January 25, 2012, 10:03:32 AM
*If* Iraq fails, it will be in spite of US efforts, not as a result of US meddling.
The US invaded and knocked out Saddam, who was the best hope for advancement and stability in Iraq.  Since then, they disbanded the army and have tried to balance the interests of the three main ethnic groups, which has only made things worse.

Nobody in the US paused to consider what they were doing.  They just rushed to impose their democracy without thinking.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on January 25, 2012, 01:59:08 PM
The US invaded and knocked out Saddam, who was the best hope for advancement and stability in Iraq.  Since then, they disbanded the army and have tried to balance the interests of the three main ethnic groups, which has only made things worse.

Nobody in the US paused to consider what they were doing.  They just rushed to impose their democracy without thinking.

I have no regrets about toppling Saddam.  But I always disagreed with the Quixotic notion of somehow being able to establish a western-style democracy there.  Before, during, and after the invasion I was in favor of either partitioning the country or installing a US-friendly (or at least US-neutral) strongman.

The only silver lining at our attempts to install democracy is that we can say we tried.  Plus it's a fresh case study to use against neocons when the subject of nation-building arises.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've come to the conclusion that places like Iraq have dictators because dictators are the only ones who can enforce a semblance of order.  People really do get the government they deserve.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 25, 2012, 05:31:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 25, 2012, 01:59:08 PM

I have no regrets about toppling Saddam.  But I always disagreed with the Quixotic notion of somehow being able to establish a western-style democracy there.  Before, during, and after the invasion I was in favor of either partitioning the country or installing a US-friendly (or at least US-neutral) strongman.

Me too, but what do we know.
A stable government does not mean a democratic government.  I wanted another Sunni general from Tikrit.

A country with 66% Shia population? WHAT COULD HAPPEN DUBYA

Ideologue

Sunni, Shia, Alawite, whatever.  Like it matters?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Kurdistan declaring independence (and probably a neat little civil war) might just might make my 2012 predictions list.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on January 25, 2012, 10:26:54 PM
I've come to the conclusion that places like Iraq have dictators because dictators are the only ones who can enforce a semblance of order.  People really do get the government they deserve.

Whoa, I would have never thought for a moment that such wisdom could come out of your mouth.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on January 26, 2012, 10:10:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 25, 2012, 10:26:54 PM

Whoa, I would have never thought for a moment that such wisdom could come out of your mouth.

Well, technically it came out of his fingers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Does this mean that we can blame France for slavery in the United States?  :)

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2012, 08:53:01 AM
Does this mean that we can blame France for slavery in the United States?  :)

Because the United States also needed a dictator to keep together and instead France forced us to adopt a Democratic Constitution thus making the Civil War inevitable?

Or wait that didn't start slavery in the US.  WTF Yi?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Slavery came to the US from Africa.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2012, 08:56:37 AM
Because the United States also needed a dictator to keep together and instead France forced us to adopt a Democratic Constitution thus making the Civil War inevitable?

Or wait that didn't start slavery in the US.  WTF Yi?

And GWII didn't start sectarian hositility and violence in Iraq.

There has to be a statute of limitations on this kind of thing.  At some point in time Iraqis have to be judged for the results of their own choices.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2012, 09:09:13 AM

And GWII didn't start sectarian hositility and violence in Iraq.

There has to be a statute of limitations on this kind of thing.  At some point in time Iraqis have to be judged for the results of their own choices.

Nature abhors a vaccum.

What's your limitation period on this one? When does it start from. Does it apply equally to apartheid, 9/11, the holocaust and colonialism?

Sheilbh

The absence of security and empowering of extreme forces, both consequences of a failed occupation, did.
Let's bomb Russia!