Previous topic - Next topic

Do you own or rent your home?

Rent
23 (38.3%)
Own (no mortgage)
6 (10%)
Own (mortgage)
26 (43.3%)
I'm a homeless hipster scum (mongers option)
5 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Phillip V

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2012, 06:50:01 PM
Rent.
This is probably the way of the future, with jobs for life dying out and city living coming in vogue it makes no sense to buy a house.

But I was told that owning a home was "The American Dream". :(

Tonitrus

Rent.  It makes the most sense being a wandering vagabond.

I'd like to buy, and then rent the place out if I move...but I know too many other military folks getting financially screwed by that scenario.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Phillip V on January 19, 2012, 06:56:46 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2012, 06:50:01 PM
Rent.
This is probably the way of the future, with jobs for life dying out and city living coming in vogue it makes no sense to buy a house.

But I was told that owning a home was "The American Dream". :(

That's what the National Association of Realtors wanted you to think.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 19, 2012, 06:58:45 PM

I'd like to buy, and then rent the place out if I move...but I know too many other military folks getting financially screwed by that scenario.

Bad tenants?

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 19, 2012, 04:32:12 PM
Own and paid off.
This will be me in about 2-3 years unless something changes with our employment situations.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Phillip V on January 19, 2012, 07:02:07 PM

Bad tenants?

Or no tenants.

CountDeMoney

Own, and the 30 year mortgage is halfway done this October.

Tonitrus

Quote from: dps on January 19, 2012, 07:09:09 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 19, 2012, 07:02:07 PM

Bad tenants?

Or no tenants.

Usually that.

Grey Fox

Quote from: fahdiz on January 19, 2012, 06:29:49 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 19, 2012, 06:24:34 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on January 19, 2012, 06:11:32 PM
Own, with mortgage, getting four and a quarter.

My house is a 1915 Craftsman.

Fixed?

Yes sir. FHA.

The rates are so good right now people in my immediate area are getting/refinancing to as low as 3.75. It's a fucking bonanza.

Nice. My rate is 3.39 but since I'm a Canuck, that's only for 5 years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

I own, with mortgage. Hope to have it paid off in a few years.

OttoVonBismarck

Own my house full and clear and have tenants in 12 rental properties.  :D

Incidentally if you're ever thinking about developing a second income stream renting a place out is something even middle class people can sort of work their way into over time...I had the good fortune of getting my house paid off at a young age and having a wife who makes more money than we can spend and I have the task of finding ways to put it to work, which put me in the position of being able to secure financing to pursue more capital intense property ventures...but I know people who are making in the high six figures to low seven figures per annum. off of truly run down shit hole houses they bought at bargain basement prices and brought marginally up to code and rented out to low income people. They slowly made more purchases with the income from the first and some of them have built up 50+ property businesses that way.

KRonn

Good for you Otto, good going!

HVC

I rent. And given the house prices around where I live I'll be renting for a long time lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 19, 2012, 07:41:47 PM
Own my house full and clear and have tenants in 12 rental properties.  :D

Incidentally if you're ever thinking about developing a second income stream renting a place out is something even middle class people can sort of work their way into over time...I had the good fortune of getting my house paid off at a young age and having a wife who makes more money than we can spend and I have the task of finding ways to put it to work, which put me in the position of being able to secure financing to pursue more capital intense property ventures...but I know people who are making in the high six figures to low seven figures per annum. off of truly run down shit hole houses they bought at bargain basement prices and brought marginally up to code and rented out to low income people. They slowly made more purchases with the income from the first and some of them have built up 50+ property businesses that way.
Everyone wants to do that these days though, there`s a bunch of TV shows about it. I don't think jumping on that train now is as easy as it was a decade or more ago.
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2012, 10:04:11 PMEveryone wants to do that these days though, there`s a bunch of TV shows about it. I don't think jumping on that train now is as easy as it was a decade or more ago.

It's never been easy, but it is one of the few ways I know that a middle class American can develop a sizable second income stream. The big problems with it are even buying seriously run down houses requires some capital outlay/financing (with its own potential disasters for personal finances), and it is extremely high in risk it's significantly riskier than playing the futures market or buying individual shares of companies (both of which are fairly high risk), and to have any chance at all to grow it successfully organically requires significant labor expenditure early on.