Poland fines pop star Doda for bashing Bible

Started by jimmy olsen, January 17, 2012, 09:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Next time a well known lawyer here bashes America, remember this.

www.nydailynews.com/news/world/poland-fines-pop-star-doda-bashing-bible-article-1.1007191?localLinksEnabled=false

QuotePoland fines pop star Doda for bashing Bible
It was written 'by someone drunk on wine and smoking some herbs,' she said in 2009 interview
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: Monday, January 16 2012, 5:25 PM
Updated: Monday, January 16 2012, 5:25 PM

WARSAW, Poland - A Polish court slapped a fine on a popular singer who bad-mouthed the Bibleā€”the latest episode in which authorities grapple with religious defamation in a traditionally Catholic country that is growing increasingly secular.

Dorota Rabczewska, a singer who uses the stage name Doda, said in a 2009 interview that she doubted the Bible "because it's hard to believe in something that was written by someone drunk on wine and smoking some herbs."

A Warsaw court ordered her Monday to pay a fine of 5,000 zlotys ($1,450) for offending religious feelings.

The case comes months after another Polish court let off a death metal performer, Adam Darski, who tore a Bible during a 2007 performance. It deemed his act artistic expression.

Darski and Rabczewska once dated.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Er, wow.

Isn't Poland party to some EU law or other international law that prevents them from doing stupid shit like this?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Well, it was ignorant, in that the Bible has about fifty authors, I guess.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Also there being no evidence of herbs smoking while writing it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I took that as metaphorical.  But then I took the single writer as metaphorical.  I don't think it's supposed to be a statement of fact.  You're being too literal.
Kinemalogue

garbon

I'm being too literal? You mean I'm actually paying attention to the few words that she chose?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on January 17, 2012, 11:16:23 PM
I'm being too literal? You mean I'm actually paying attention to the few words that she chose?

Yeah.  If I were to say, "Paul must have been tripping acid on the road to Damascus," obviously I would not mean that literally; lysergic acid diethylamide was not invented until 1938.
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on January 17, 2012, 10:56:51 PM
Well, it was ignorant, in that the Bible has about fifty authors, I guess.
Isn't ignorance a national trait of the Poles?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 17, 2012, 11:19:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 17, 2012, 11:16:23 PM

Yeah.  If I were to say, "Paul must have been tripping acid on the road to Damascus," obviously I would not mean that literally; lysergic acid diethylamide was not invented until 1938.

Sure but you can pare it to the based that the people/person who wrote it was drunk/high. Otherwise what is the point of the comparison? Just to suggest that they were crazy? You might as just well to stick to the fact that it is nonsensical and contradictory.

Ideologue

I feel that's what she meant, yes, and was using language figuratively to illustrate her belief.  I'm sorry it didn't meet your standards of accuracy. :P

In any event, by God, why are we arguing about this?  The more important point is that Poles are basically not much better off than Iranians.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2012, 12:28:31 AM
In any event, by God, why are we arguing about this?  The more important point is that Poles are basically not much better off than Iranians.

Because you tried to suggest that it wasn't a stupid statement.

Ideologue

It's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard, is all.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2012, 12:40:32 AM
It's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard, is all.

I don't think I was saying that. :mellow:

Martinus

Yes, Timmay, because my America bashing is always accompanied by a total praise of the situation in Poland, especially when it comes to religious issues.

You fucking cretin.