Stupid question: When Black and white people have seeeeex!

Started by Razgovory, May 01, 2009, 02:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2009, 10:49:44 AM

Here's a helpful tip for you Eochaid - why don't you call yourself whatever you want, and let other people call themselves whatever they want.  What a stupid thing to get upset over.  If I self-identify as being Ukrainian-Canadian despite 5 generations living in Canada in what possible way does it upset you?

The Euro still fiercely defends his ethnicity.  Any claims by the cultureless colonists threatens the purity of the tribe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2009, 10:46:37 AM
Is this really a thread?

Are you really in my thread?  Get out, shoo.  This is a no garbon zone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Richard Hakluyt

Good point Raz, I was just thinking that the American poring over his ancestry and mathoms is preferable to the Euro with an ethnic purity thing.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2009, 11:59:01 AM

The Euro still fiercely defends his ethnicity.  Any claims by the cultureless colonists threatens the purity of the tribe.

This is what I often think when confronted with that complaint. Sometimes it's not the case, but it is far more often than I would consider palatable.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2009, 12:01:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2009, 10:46:37 AM
Is this really a thread?

Well, to be fair, he is a cautionary tale...

syk

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 01, 2009, 12:02:27 PM
Good point Raz, I was just thinking that the American poring over his ancestry and mathoms is preferable to the Euro with an ethnic purity thing.
I think it is actually the opposite. People are immigrating to Europe en masse and have been for decades. At least that's true for Germany. I find it equally silly for ethnic Turks who are in the country for the 3rd generation, speak German as their mother tongue, likely have a German passport and have no connection to Turkey whatsoever to refer to themselves as Turks.
Russo-Germans are the same. These people came from Russia becuase there they were Germans, now here they are Russians. People need a place to belong. If they share the culture, the language, the passport, they should just refer tom themselves as members of the country they belong to.
It's far beyond the tribal level. You or your ancestors have chosen a country to live in, so be a citizen of that country. If you wanna be Irish, go live in Ireland.

Eochaid

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2009, 11:59:01 AMThe Euro still fiercely defends his ethnicity.  Any claims by the cultureless colonists threatens the purity of the tribe.

It's not about purity of any kind.

Anyone legally coming to the UK (or France), willing to settle down and learn English/French is welcome; regardless of where he originally comes from. I don't give a flying fuck about "ethnic purity" (the mere concept is an aberration anyway).

Kevin
It's been a while

Razgovory

Actually a great many of our ancestors didn't have a choice.  Some came in chains, some because of persecution and some because of starvation.  Most people, given the choice would rather stay home then travel across the sea and settle in a new land.

grumbler

Quote from: Eochaid on May 01, 2009, 10:05:40 AM
Helpful tip for Americans: if you've always lived in America and don't speak the language, you're not [insert supposed nationality]. Pisses me off each and every time.
Really?  I am Scottish, then.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

You posted a threat about my demographic and thought I wouldn't post? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Eochaid on May 01, 2009, 10:32:12 AM
It just pisses me off when I hear people referring to the Irish or Italian (or whatever) communities in some American state or another. Whatever link these guys had is long dead and they're just perpetuating some kind of fossilised version of a culture.

I can understand keeping track of you origins (we all do it), but this is more akin to pathetically clinging on to something long dead. Seriously, back in the 80s' and 90s' the IRA was funded mainly by Irish Americans when the majority of REAL Irish people (in Eire) just wanted peace. WTF was that all about?

Do people think that because they keep an Irish flag and drink pints on St Paddy's they're Irish?

I think most of the people you are slamming in this post would acknowledge that they are "Irish-Americans" and that "Irish-Americans" differ from the Irish.  But who is going to go around saying "Irish-American" all day?  It's too cumbersome.

I have strong German roots which I love to research, but I do not consider myself a "German".  I barely understand German at all and the German I understand is Pennsylvania Dutch, which is quite different from modern German.

But I think it's silly and bizarre for someone to get worked up over my interest in geneaology.  It reminds me of Christian losers obsessing over what gay people do in their personal lives.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: syk on May 01, 2009, 12:11:10 PM
I think it is actually the opposite. People are immigrating to Europe en masse and have been for decades. At least that's true for Germany. I find it equally silly for ethnic Turks who are in the country for the 3rd generation, speak German as their mother tongue, likely have a German passport and have no connection to Turkey whatsoever to refer to themselves as Turks.
Russo-Germans are the same. These people came from Russia becuase there they were Germans, now here they are Russians. People need a place to belong. If they share the culture, the language, the passport, they should just refer tom themselves as members of the country they belong to.
It's far beyond the tribal level. You or your ancestors have chosen a country to live in, so be a citizen of that country. If you wanna be Irish, go live in Ireland.
I think citizenship and identity are two very different things.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2009, 12:25:13 PM
I think citizenship and identity are two very different things.

:grr: I'm an african citizen!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2009, 12:17:59 PM
You posted a threat about my demographic and thought I wouldn't post? :yeahright:
Please don't feed the troll.

Nobody gets to claim threads as "my thread."  Responding in this fashion just feeds raz's delusion that he is God-Emperor of threads he happens to start.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: syk on May 01, 2009, 12:11:10 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 01, 2009, 12:02:27 PM

I'm sure most of the people you mention do consider themselves "German", but they do have substantial connections as well to Russia or Turkey.  Your Turkish-German probably grew up eating different food, going to a different religious building, with different customs and habits.  While they probably have a sense of Germanness, there's no disputing they'll have a different experience than Hans from Bavaria.

So I'll go back to - what harm does it do to anyone if your average Turkish-German likes to eat kababs, goes to mosque and likes to watch Turkey play in international soccer?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.