Stupid question: When Black and white people have seeeeex!

Started by Razgovory, May 01, 2009, 02:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eochaid

Quote from: Brazen on May 01, 2009, 10:43:49 AMWhat happened to all the English-Americans? And why don't they celebrate St George's day?

Yeah, you guys would all speak German if it wasn't for us  <_<

Kevin

PS: it feels so good to say this after the gazillion times I've heard Americans say it to us :P
It's been a while

Josquius

Quote from: Brazen on May 01, 2009, 10:43:49 AM
Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2009, 10:36:37 AM
Nope, they think they are Irish-Americans.  There is a sense that if you don't know where you came from (even if invented, like most family histories) you don't know who you are.
What happened to all the English-Americans? And why don't they celebrate St George's day?
They are the un-hyphenated Americans.

And yes. Irish-Americans annoy me greatly. Especially when they decide to come over all anti-British with a hilariously wrong, black and white version of history.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Eochaid on May 01, 2009, 10:45:01 AM
Still is a very American complex if you ask me.

I might be out on a limb here, but it feels like Americans don't feel like being "American" is a legitimate identity.  :huh:

Kevin

I don't think it is, America is too big for that.

Do you think French-Guiana people feel that they are French?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Eochaid on May 01, 2009, 10:32:12 AM
Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2009, 10:19:47 AMFuck off, Celto-Roman.

It just pisses me off when I hear people referring to the Irish or Italian (or whatever) communities in some American state or another. Whatever link these guys had is long dead and they're just perpetuating some kind of fossilised version of a culture.

I can understand keeping track of you origins (we all do it), but this is more akin to pathetically clinging on to something long dead. Seriously, back in the 80s' and 90s' the IRA was funded mainly by Irish Americans when the majority of REAL Irish people (in Eire) just wanted peace. WTF was that all about?

Do people think that because they keep an Irish flag and drink pints on St Paddy's they're Irish?

Kevin

Here's a helpful tip for you Eochaid - why don't you call yourself whatever you want, and let other people call themselves whatever they want.  What a stupid thing to get upset over.  If I self-identify as being Ukrainian-Canadian despite 5 generations living in Canada in what possible way does it upset you?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

I might be out on a limb here, but it feels like Americans don't feel like being "American" is a legitimate identity.  :huh:

Kevin

I think the hyphenated American thing is done more out of fun than anything else.  Self-identifying that way gives you an excuse to indulge in those ethnic stereotypes (i.e., go out & get pissed drunk on St. Patty's Day), and in another sense, it's a lazy way of exploring your genealogy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

syk

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2009, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: Eochaid on May 01, 2009, 10:32:12 AM
Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2009, 10:19:47 AMFuck off, Celto-Roman.

It just pisses me off when I hear people referring to the Irish or Italian (or whatever) communities in some American state or another. Whatever link these guys had is long dead and they're just perpetuating some kind of fossilised version of a culture.

I can understand keeping track of you origins (we all do it), but this is more akin to pathetically clinging on to something long dead. Seriously, back in the 80s' and 90s' the IRA was funded mainly by Irish Americans when the majority of REAL Irish people (in Eire) just wanted peace. WTF was that all about?

Do people think that because they keep an Irish flag and drink pints on St Paddy's they're Irish?

Kevin

Here's a helpful tip for you Eochaid - why don't you call yourself whatever you want, and let other people call themselves whatever they want.  What a stupid thing to get upset over.  If I self-identify as being Ukrainian-Canadian despite 5 generations living in Canada in what possible way does it upset you?

It's silly and typically American to state you are something other than you are.  ;)

derspiess

What happened to all the English-Americans? And why don't they celebrate St George's day?

Two wars happened.

cue "Battle of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton

Anyway, we carried on the language & even went to the trouble of perfecting it for you.  Plus WASP culture was the dominant culture for most of our nation's history :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

Through the wonders of Wikipedia, I have now learned that the correct term for a asian/negro half-breed is apparently, "Blasian".

I am now pondering what to do next.

Poke my eyes out with a pen, or never ever open up Wikipedia again.

I cannot decide.

garbon

Quote from: Slargos on May 01, 2009, 10:57:11 AM
Through the wonders of Wikipedia, I have now learned that the correct term for a asian/negro half-breed is apparently, "Blasian".

I am now pondering what to do next.

Poke my eyes out with a pen, or never ever open up Wikipedia again.

I cannot decide.

:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eochaid

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2009, 10:49:44 AMHere's a helpful tip for you Eochaid - why don't you call yourself whatever you want, and let other people call themselves whatever they want.  What a stupid thing to get upset over.  If I self-identify as being Ukrainian-Canadian despite 5 generations living in Canada in what possible way does it upset you?

But I will... as soon as people stop funding terrorism (mostly done!) and circulating outdated stereotypes.

When living in Vancouver, I had the following conversation with some git:

Git: You English?
Me: Yes, I'm British.
Git: What do you think about the end of the war in Ireland?
Me: Excuse me?
Git: Yeah, I'm Irish!
Me: Where from?
Git: Boston!
Me: Oh, OK... I gotta go.
Git: <insert rant about Northern Ireland>

To use the example of  Irish-Americans, they are to Irish people what emos are to Goths or what skaters are to punks: a watered-down annoyance.

Kevin
It's been a while

PDH

Less drinking then.  Plus, they run the place.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Still is a very American complex if you ask me.

Kevin
It isn't.  American is a membership in a group that acknowledges, by definition, that one came (or is descended from) people who came from elsewhere.  Added to this are national myths that allow both assimilation and ethnic maintenance, you get something that is different (and apparently quite annoying and scary to others).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eochaid

Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2009, 11:05:14 AMIt isn't.  American is a membership in a group that acknowledges, by definition, that one came (or is descended from) people who came from elsewhere.  Added to this are national myths that allow both assimilation and ethnic maintenance, you get something that is different (and apparently quite annoying and scary to others).

It's not scary. Listening to an American go on about his ancestry, whenever he gets the slightest chance, is like being friends with a hobbit.

Kevin
It's been a while

PDH

Quote from: Eochaid on May 01, 2009, 11:09:34 AM
It's not scary. Listening to an American go on about his ancestry, whenever he gets the slightest chance, is like being friends with a hobbit.

Kevin
Didn't say it was scary to you, but it IS scary to people who firmly believe, despite evidence of it happening in the US, that furrin deevils can and do integrate when in a system that does not demand them to pretend to be something they are not and allows them to pretend to be what they are not of their own choosing.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

saskganesh

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2009, 10:47:32 AM
Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2009, 10:36:37 AM
Nope, they think they are Irish-Americans.  There is a sense that if you don't know where you came from (even if invented, like most family histories) you don't know who you are.
They are the un-hyphenated Americans.

what about "Web Saxons" (many of them are Americans) who like to dis Billy Bastard and everything that came after in a very Lettowist fashion?
humans were created in their own image