News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Trailer for Twilight Struggle PC

Started by Syt, January 15, 2012, 12:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Lucidor

Played four games last week with my girlfriend face to face. Lovely game! The VASSAL mod is among the sleekest mods I've played.

garbon

Not a good time for Cold War era PC games.

QuoteSpecial Update from GMT Games - Twilight Struggle Electronic Version News

Hi guys!

This Special Update is to let you guys know what's happening with the development of our electronic versions of Twilight Struggle.

As many of you may remember, when we first put our Electronic PC version of Twilight Struggle on our P500 list, I assured you guys that there was no way I was going to charge your cards or release that game unless I was satisfied that it would deliver a high-quality game experience, comparable to the other most popular boardgame to electronic conversions. Regrettably, after a long and challenging development process, I have come to the conclusion that the current PC version will not meet that standard, at least not in any reasonable time frame. Thus, after consulting personally with several experienced PC industry people who I trust and who were involved in the TS electronic version testing process, and with Tony Curtis, our LLC Manager, we have decided to cancel this project, effective immediately.

I want to thank all of you who supported us by pre-ordering the game and especially those of you who gave of your time to help us test it. I wish that we had been able to deliver the product we had envisioned in a timely manner.

And I want to thank all the folks at RiverMyst software, a group of  really good people who I enjoyed meeting and getting to know over the years. I appreciate all the time they put into the project to try to make it happen and I certainly wish them only the best for the future. Alas, I think that between us, we just didn't have the necessary "PC Game-Building" experience to get this project over the finish line at a quality level and with a feature set that we would all be happy with. And I wasn't willing to keep you guys who were anxiously anticipating the game waiting any longer for a product whose delivery we could not project with any certainty.

What if You Have a P500 Order for the Game?

The impact to you guys who have pre-ordered the game will be nil, except for the unfortunate fact that we won't be producing the game. I have already deleted the item from our P500 list, so you won't see it on the P500 page or on your Personal Data Sheets on our website anymore.

So, What's Next?

We are keenly aware of the market share impact that tablet games have had over the past few years. And we've read all of those "please get Twilight Struggle to iPad!" e-mails and comments you guys have sent and posted online. And we've turned down quite a few companies who wanted to do a tablet version of TS over the past few years because we wanted to get the computer game to the finish line. But that's now all moot with the PC game cancelled, so our priority at this point is to get an agreement for a tablet version - and potentially maybe even a cross-platform version - in place. We're not ready to share any details on that front yet, but do think we have an agreement on the horizon. We expect to have more information for you guys on that later this Spring.

-------------------------------

We're really sorry that our first attempt at getting Twilight Struggle created on an electronic platform didn't cross the finish line, and that so many of you waited in anticipation to no avail. We're going to take the lesson learned and improve our process this time, as we work toward a tablet version of Twilight Struggle.

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks, as always, for your support of GMT!

Enjoy the games!

Gene
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Wow.  They should have just hired the War Game Room developer to do it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

fhdz

Quote from: Habbaku on March 10, 2014, 07:52:08 PM
Wow.  They should have just hired the War Game Room developer to do it.

But they would have seen the Big Board :(
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

I for one applaud this latest cross-over collapse.  It's just not natural. 

Syt

So computer wise that leaves Balance of Power (original or 1990 edition), or the sucky alternatives of Shadow President 1 and 2, Supreme Ruler: Cold War, Cold War Era and Us and Them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

fhdz

Quote from: Syt on March 10, 2014, 11:48:30 PM
So computer wise that leaves Balance of Power (original or 1990 edition), or the sucky alternatives of Shadow President 1 and 2, Supreme Ruler: Cold War, Cold War Era and Us and Them.

Someone should just do a Total Conversion for Vicky II.
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Or play Twilight Struggle in person with a loved one.  Or Berkut with Vassal and a speed-chess clock.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2014, 09:18:31 PM

Or play Twilight Struggle in person with a loved one.  Or Berkut with Vassal and a speed-chess clock.

I don't think either option is open to me. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Vassal is pretty easy to use. You can even play by yourself, making machine gun noises while moving counters.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 11, 2014, 10:21:01 PM
making machine gun noises while moving counters.

"Pew Pew Pew!"  And alternately, when you're the Germans, "Jew Jew Jew!"

Berkut

Kind of amazed they so epically failed on this.

It isn't that hard of a port.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 11, 2014, 10:21:01 PM
Vassal is pretty easy to use. You can even play by yourself, making machine gun noises while moving counters.

I thought Berk had difficulties getting that to run on his machine.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.