World War I
5 (13.5%)
World War II
12 (32.4%)
Other Modern War
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Scipio

ACW.  Russian Revolution.  The River War.  The Boer War.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on January 14, 2012, 03:19:29 PM
The Boer War.

Completely fascinating, and yet one sees many comparisons, particularly the run-up to and execution of the war, to modern conflicts--particularly Iraq 2003.

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on January 14, 2012, 12:24:04 PM
I wouldn't call Raz passive-aggressive. Rather, I would call him tangentially-aggressive, in that he attacks openly but along a new path that often makes little or no sense and seems far off the mark sometimes.

Raz takes the indirect approach. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 14, 2012, 12:45:23 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2012, 05:49:12 AMMaybe not as comprehensive as one would like for the entire war, I totally enjoyed Montcalm And Wolfe: The French And Indian War by Francis Parkham.

:bleeding:

QuoteA bit dated

"A bit" ?  :yeahright:

:lol: I like reading the older stuff, sometimes despite being as stilted as it is, it's still authoritative.
I mean, are you going to discount Lord Mahon's work on Belisarius, simply because it's old?

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2012, 03:30:59 PM
Quote from: PDH on January 14, 2012, 12:24:04 PM
I wouldn't call Raz passive-aggressive. Rather, I would call him tangentially-aggressive, in that he attacks openly but along a new path that often makes little or no sense and seems far off the mark sometimes.

Raz takes the indirect approach.

One could almost say Napoleonic in character.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2012, 11:56:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2012, 11:34:52 AM

I wish you weren't so passive-aggressive in your trolling.

Just tell me what you meant you fucking asshole.

Happier now?

Ok. Joan of Arc. Henry V ("Once more into the breach", "We few we happy few"). The "V" sign for victory (might be a myth but still is a pop culture trope). Just to name the most popular ones. The setting has inspired authors for centuries.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2012, 05:15:37 PM
Ok. Joan of Arc. Henry V ("Once more into the breach", "We few we happy few"). The "V" sign for victory (might be a myth but still is a pop culture trope). Just to name the most popular ones. The setting has inspired authors for centuries.
V for victory is from Churchill.  It's the V for fuck off that came from the Hundred Years War.  The story is that it's a sign longbowmen used to wave to the French to show they still had their fingers.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2012, 05:17:38 PM
V for victory is from Churchill.  It's the V for fuck off that came from the Hundred Years War.  The story is that it's a sign longbowmen used to wave to the French to show they still had their fingers.
Yeah that's what I meant.

CountDeMoney

OK, smart guy;  who figured out the V with the tongue in it, then?

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2012, 05:18:27 PM

OK, smart guy;  who figured out the V with the tongue in it, then?
That was the French :(
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

The Cold War.  :cool:

Lived it, survived it, a 'veteran of a thousand psychic wars' *.  :P

* Oops letting my personal life intrude there.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Siege

I am disgusted by your blatant disregard for human suffering.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"