World War II
12 (32.4%)
Other Modern War
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2012, 06:19:34 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2012, 04:41:30 PM
I'm ashamed to admit I know so little about this. PBS recently had a decent documentary about it and I found it quite interesting. I do need to pick up a book or two.

Read http://www.amazon.com/Amateurs-Arms-Military-History-Campaigns/dp/0306806533

By far the most interesting book I have read on the topic, and while Elting does have his jones for Winfield Scott (and his knife out for Andrew Jackson), he is very even-handed in his treatment of the campaigns.  He is big on explaining why, not just what.  Plus, he was just a natural storyteller.

Thanks. Short listed.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2012, 06:40:13 PM
The Hundred Years War, for the sheer number of cultural references and tropes it inspired.

Like what?  "War without Mustard is like sausage without fire"?  I may have gotten that one wrong.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

The American Civil War is by far my favorite.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Octavian

The Punic wars, Alexanders campaigns, Napoleon and WWII
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2012, 07:13:38 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 13, 2012, 06:32:43 PM
:thumbsup:  Added to the wishlist.  Have any suggestions on the F&I War?

Still looking for the readable and comprehensive account myself.   :(

Maybe not as comprehensive as one would like for the entire war, I totally enjoyed Montcalm And Wolfe: The French And Indian War by Francis Parkham.  A bit dated and a little tough to slog through at times, though. 
Grumbler's probably already read it though.

CountDeMoney

I am fascinated by the war histories of the Revolutions--American, but especially French and Russian--but I find myself more and more interested in the ACW as I get older.

I go through phases, though:  I was on a Spanish Civil War reading kick for some time, now I'm all about Victorian-era British conflict in Africa and India.  Next will probably be the Italian Wars of Independence, who knows.

WW2 is still the mainstay, though.

Syt

WW1 with its build up and aftermath. Not only militarily, but also politically and socially.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2012, 07:50:33 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2012, 06:40:13 PM
The Hundred Years War, for the sheer number of cultural references and tropes it inspired.

Like what?  "War without Mustard is like sausage without fire"?  I may have gotten that one wrong.

I wish you weren't so passive-aggressive in your trolling.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2012, 11:34:52 AM

I wish you weren't so passive-aggressive in your trolling.

Just tell me what you meant you fucking asshole.

Happier now?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

I wouldn't call Raz passive-aggressive. Rather, I would call him tangentially-aggressive, in that he attacks openly but along a new path that often makes little or no sense and seems far off the mark sometimes.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Iormlund

Josephus

The Great Seige of  1565
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Oexmelin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2012, 05:49:12 AMMaybe not as comprehensive as one would like for the entire war, I totally enjoyed Montcalm And Wolfe: The French And Indian War by Francis Parkham.

:bleeding:

QuoteA bit dated

"A bit" ?  :yeahright:

Though it has tons of problems, Fred Anderson's The Crucible of War is still the best accessible narrative of the war.

(One of my ongoing, long-term project, is to produce a new narrative which would include, you know, actual French and Indian sources...)
Que le grand cric me croque !

sbr

WWII is what first got me interested in history and is probably technically still my "favorite" war.  I have been much more interested in the American Revolution and ACW lately though.

Admiral Yi

Ucks:  did you read Keegan's writeup of the French & Indian in his book on wars in North America?  If so, what did you think?