World War I
5 (13.5%)
World War II
12 (32.4%)
Other Modern War
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Josephus

Yeah, just realized it's a hundred years old. We should have a commemorative parade.

Maybe dig up some dead Yankee soldier remains and pee on them.

OK, I am just being sarcastic and not trolling..  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2012, 04:50:28 PM
Yeah, just realized it's a hundred years old. We should have a commemorative parade.

:hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

I'm not a massive fan of military history.  Probably the English Civil War, followed by the French Revolutionary wars.  But my reading on that is exclusively French Revolutionary, I've not read a great deal on the Napoleonic wars.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

The war against Timmayism.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 13, 2012, 05:01:04 PM
I'm not a massive fan of military history.  Probably the English Civil War, followed by the French Revolutionary wars.  But my reading on that is exclusively French Revolutionary, I've not read a great deal on the Napoleonic wars.

Well there's military history and then there's history during war time.

Some guys get off on all the detailed military manouvers and tactics.  It's not really my thing.  But wars are times of enormous political and social upheaval and change, and that kind of stuff is wildly interesting.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2012, 05:11:44 PM
Well there's military history and then there's history during war time.

Some guys get off on all the detailed military manouvers and tactics.  It's not really my thing.  But wars are times of enormous political and social upheaval and change, and that kind of stuff is wildly interesting.
Yeah.  The latter I find interesting.  But I'm not terribly interested in histories of specific campaigns, battles or war from a military perspective.

On the other hand I do find history of the military quite interesting.  Rodgers' history of the Royal Navy's superb.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2012, 04:41:30 PM
I'm ashamed to admit I know so little about this. PBS recently had a decent documentary about it and I found it quite interesting. I do need to pick up a book or two.

Read http://www.amazon.com/Amateurs-Arms-Military-History-Campaigns/dp/0306806533

By far the most interesting book I have read on the topic, and while Elting does have his jones for Winfield Scott (and his knife out for Andrew Jackson), he is very even-handed in his treatment of the campaigns.  He is big on explaining why, not just what.  Plus, he was just a natural storyteller.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2012, 06:19:34 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2012, 04:41:30 PM
I'm ashamed to admit I know so little about this. PBS recently had a decent documentary about it and I found it quite interesting. I do need to pick up a book or two.

Read http://www.amazon.com/Amateurs-Arms-Military-History-Campaigns/dp/0306806533

By far the most interesting book I have read on the topic, and while Elting does have his jones for Winfield Scott (and his knife out for Andrew Jackson), he is very even-handed in his treatment of the campaigns.  He is big on explaining why, not just what.  Plus, he was just a natural storyteller.
:thumbsup:  Added to the wishlist.  Have any suggestions on the F&I War?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

11B4V

But seriously, besides the Russian theater durinng WW2, the Crimean and Franco-Prussian Wars.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

The Hundred Years War, for the sheer number of cultural references and tropes it inspired.

The Brain

The War of Neanderthal Aggression.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 13, 2012, 06:32:43 PM

Still looking for the readable and comprehensive account myself.   :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2012, 07:13:38 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 13, 2012, 06:32:43 PM

Still looking for the readable and comprehensive account myself.   :(
Damn.  It definitely is one of the lesser written about wars from what I've seen.  Let me know if you find anything good during your searches.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2012, 04:57:12 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2012, 04:50:28 PM

:hmm:

200 years.  :D That's why I'm a journalist...my math is not so good.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011