World War I
5 (13.5%)
World War II
12 (32.4%)
Other Modern War
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Kleves

Which war do you find most interesting/most enjoying reading about?

For me, it's the Civil War, followed by WWI and then WWII.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

The Great War. It's hard to find an event which so drastically changed history's course and the world in such a sudden way.

Valmy

Probably the Funeral Games at the beginning of the Hellenistic era.  That might just be the most entertaining and bizarre war ever fought.

Followed by the Wars of the French Revolution :frog: and WWI.

I love sweeping cultural and political changes and drama in my wars.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Hard to say.  In some ways WWII is the most interesting, but there's so much more I don't know about WWI (not to suggest that I know everything about WWII).

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2012, 04:20:50 PM
1812. :Canuck

I have an ancestor who fought in the Georgian militia in that war.  His force would march out, get humiliated by the Creek Indians, and then run back to Georgia...rest for a bit...then march back and get soundly defeated by the Creeks again and retreat...and then rest up...and so forth.

Quite a glorious chapter in American military history.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

World War II, naturally.

After that, French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.

Then the Persian Wars, specifically Alexander's campaign if I have to be specific.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

The problem with your question is that some of us (me) have already read a ton on the war(s) we find interesting, so there's nothing new to read.

I think the French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars are the best from a dramatic standpoint.  And obviously the uniforms.

derspiess

WWII.  It has been the most fascinating for me ever since I first started reading my grandfather's WWII books as a kid.  And IMO it has by far the coolest weaponry.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sophie Scholl

Probably the American Revolution, as it is the war I grew up most inundated with by my locality.  I rather enjoy The Great War and the Wars of the Roses as well.  I've been meaning to do more research/reading about the French and Indian War as well as the War of 1812.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

I'm ashamed to admit I know so little about this. PBS recently had a decent documentary about it and I found it quite interesting. I do need to pick up a book or two.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Lettow77

WW2 is the plebe choice by the way.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2012, 04:41:30 PM

I'm ashamed to admit I know so little about this. PBS recently had a decent documentary about it and I found it quite interesting. I do need to pick up a book or two.

I could and should definitely pick up some more knowledge on it as well.  There's been some news coverage as the bicentennial is this year which has gotten my interest up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus