News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lettow writes a novel!

Started by Lettow77, January 13, 2012, 03:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

I *LOVE* Confederacy of Dunces.

I'm not emotionally prepared to write about my own experiences. It'd be unpleasant. I feel my existence and identity as a Southerner are a heavy burden. I feel as if the South is an unhappy, benighted place, and taking up the Confederacy as a cross makes me an unhappy, benighted person. I think that was what my first sonnet was about. I try not to think about it, and focus on other things that make me happy. Japanese culture makes me happy. My experiences as a Southerner and Confederate nationalist inform my writing topic, word choice and the ideas through which I perceive Japanese culture, and that is enough for me.

What languish is asking me to do, regardless of the quality of the work that would emerge, would drive me into a terrible place I don't want to be in. I can't write the South.

Edit: Those who like Confederacy of Dunces should read Cry of the Sloth, which is a similar and wonderful work.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

Do you know what it is like to be a white man who can summon fire from the sky?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: The Brain on January 13, 2012, 06:59:55 PM
Do you know what it is like to be a white man who can summon fire from the sky?

You mean like Curtis LeMay? Wish I could.  :Embarrass:

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 13, 2012, 06:34:49 PM
I agree.  You should write about what you know, as the cliche goes.

Or write about shit that's completely made up.  One of these days maybe I should revisit my version of the Trojan War myths recast with modern weapons and nation-states (a lot like Loncraine's Richard III, but with 100% more homosexual main characters, and about 1000% more rape--not my fault, blame the source material).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

So, how many people here have aspirations to write a novel?  Oh and Confederacy of Dunces is a great novel.  It's like meeting Raz in person.  Except for the jerking off to dogs part.  I don't do that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2012, 10:16:03 PM
So, how many people here have aspirations to write a novel?  Oh and Confederacy of Dunces is a great novel.  It's like meeting Raz in person.  Except for the jerking off to dogs part.  I don't do that.

Does a comic book count?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2012, 06:41:38 PM
Lettuce: have you read Confederacy of Dunces?

Is it one you'd recommend in general or just to lettow?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2012, 10:50:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2012, 06:41:38 PM
Lettuce: have you read Confederacy of Dunces?

Is it one you'd recommend in general or just to lettow?

In general.  It's hilarious.

Lettow77

As said, I've already read it. it takes pride of place in my top ten, i'm sure. Raz, I am not quite Ignatius J. Reilly, fortunately. I think I used to resemble him more.

I would recommend, again, The Cry of the Sloth, if maybe only to you. I don't think the others here can appreciate it properly.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Josquius

I'd second the write about the south idea. At least drop the visual novel sillyness. You'll never manage that.

Quote from: Drakken on January 13, 2012, 06:18:11 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on January 13, 2012, 06:06:43 PM
Haven't y'all heard enough about the South from me in one lifetime? Why is the peanut gallery not sick of that one? The South makes *me* sick. I don't like to think about it. It's a horrible, conflicting thing i've shoved deep into the recesses of my being and would rather have be something that unconsciously effects everything I do rather than something I openly consider.

That seems exactly what a self-loathing, crazed Japanese otaku thinking America is like the world of Superman and Spiderman would say about Japan and Japanese society.

Hey, they don't even have to be that otakuy. There's quite a lot of the grass is greener on the other side of the pacificism amongst the general pop here.
To be born Japanese is a pretty grim fate.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Writing a novel?  Shouldn't be hard, since most of your posts probably qualify as novellas. :P
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

And he can just publish it on the web without convincing some editor that it's any good.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 13, 2012, 11:23:27 PM
As said, I've already read it. it takes pride of place in my top ten, i'm sure. Raz, I am not quite Ignatius J. Reilly, fortunately. I think I used to resemble him more.

I would recommend, again, The Cry of the Sloth, if maybe only to you. I don't think the others here can appreciate it properly.

I'll pick it up.