News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Community-based economies the answer?

Started by merithyn, January 13, 2012, 01:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I just heard about a book out called "American Beyond Capitalism" by Gar Alperovitz (sp) on NPR (my go-to radio station while at work), and I think it's pretty fascinating. The author talks about local economies as the answer to the current financial crisis and as a way to push us to the next type of economic model. (One that is as-yet unknown.)

He also mentioned Cleveland as a great example of how this model is working, and a website called community-wealth.com that offers ideas on how to create a similar model - at least in part - at home.

I want to buy the book to read, but I'm not sold that this is The Answer to things. A global economy is essential to the way of life we now know. At the same time, there is something to be said for buying local. Is there a way to combine both models to create an environment that encourages international trade while maintaining a local economy? It seems inconsistent to me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Isn't that what we had as the ideal in the Middle Ages?  That each manor should be an independent self-sufficient economic unit?

Sounds interesting though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

You can have both. When I attended my local middle school (age 11-13), it banned soft drinks (soda). Thus, I went to the grocery store, bought 12-packs of soda cans, brought them into school via a big lunch container, and sold them at a profit of $1-$2 per can.

Valmy

It is also worrisome whenever somebody's great example of success is something in Cleveland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

No.  Unless you want to live in your own filth and meet about 10% of your material desires, probably not including the desire for food.

Still not as silly as that dork Rifkin in The End of Work, whose basic predictions I believe were correct, but whose solution to apocalyptic technological unemployment was people being nice to each other.  Sure, that'll happen.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DontSayBanana

This just sounds bad.  Interfacing economies (specifically separate currencies) rarely works out neatly.  As citizens, we're usually shielded from some of the costs by the simple fact that most of the interfacing happens at the government level, so we just don't have to deal with it.  Very few communities are completely self-sufficient anymore, so there'd be a lot more in the way of imports under this system, including "imports" of basic goods.  Urban residents needing to buy fruits, vegetables, and dairy is one example that springs immediately to mind.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2012, 01:40:55 PM
No.  Unless you want to live in your own filth and meet about 10% of your material desires, probably not including the desire for food.

Actually, that's a good point.  Waste disposal is already a hot issue when crossing state lines- imagine waste disposal contracts becoming a hundred times more complex.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gar_Alperovitz

Found the guy.  Sounds like communes.  Ide won't like him, he opposed that atomic bombing of japan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Why would he want a million more Japanese to die from bombs, bullets, and starvation?  Very sad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2012, 01:47:04 PM
Why would he want a million more Japanese to die from bombs, bullets, and starvation?  Very sad.

Well when you put it that way...

crazy canuck

I cant imagine how horrible life would be under such an isolated economy.  No fresh fruits and vegetables during winter.  No French or Italian wines.  No French cheese (or Oka cheese). No thanks.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2012, 01:24:41 PM
Isn't that what we had as the ideal in the Middle Ages?  That each manor should be an independent self-sufficient economic unit?

Sounds interesting though.

Actually, he argued in the interview that what we have today is feudal economics, with 1% of the population owning most things and others toiling for them. I thought that was an interesting thought...
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...