News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lettow writes a novel!

Started by Lettow77, January 13, 2012, 03:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2012, 10:50:21 PM
Is it one you'd recommend in general or just to lettow?

In general.  Book is not a life-changer, but interesting and amusing and thought-provoking.  And the best back story of any book ever written.  Some dude came out of nowhere and wrote this book in his 40s, then never wrote again (died? killed himself?).

Razgovory

Psychology students are sometimes assigned that book and asked to give a diagnosis of the main character.  Which is how I found the book, I was looking for information on my particular illness which is what fits the character best.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2012, 02:35:50 AM
Psychology students are sometimes assigned that book and asked to give a diagnosis of the main character.

That's dismal.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2012, 02:28:41 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2012, 10:50:21 PM
Is it one you'd recommend in general or just to lettow?

In general.  Book is not a life-changer, but interesting and amusing and thought-provoking.  And the best back story of any book ever written.  Some dude came out of nowhere and wrote this book in his 40s, then never wrote again (died? killed himself?).

He killed himself when he was in his early 30s.  Then his mother shopped the manuscript around for a decade or so.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 14, 2012, 03:07:05 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2012, 02:35:50 AM
Psychology students are sometimes assigned that book and asked to give a diagnosis of the main character.

That's dismal.

I dunno, I didn't take the class.  I just found some stuff about it online when I was looking up what I got on the Psych tests.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

Coincidentally, early death is the easymodo route to renown with your literature. Having killed yourself makes this true, but more so.

Doubtlessly it is why A Confederacy of Dunces is such a fine work.

edit: I'll try to have samples of writing from both the story I want to write and the horrible South-thing you desire sometime tonight.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Lettow77

Learned some things about my characters. The protagonist's last name is Nakamura, and he is from Tottori. He turned 18 in 1941. His first name I have not yet decided between- Santaro or Osamu. 

More to the point though, thinking I could get anything done was over-optimistic, just as I am feeling overly negative now. When I feel, as I felt yesterday, in my highest spirits, I delude myself into imagining grand vistas of possibility. I want to leave a great work behind to mark my existence, but the sonnet project (also largely stalled) is the better bet. Better still than either may be the realization that I will not achieve anything of note.

I wrote a small snippet without any real direction. I attempted, entirely for Languish's sake, to write something about the South, and as predicted it caused me the worst sort of pain. I simply cannot, at least not now.

The novel I will never create would be an I-novel, both in line with what is common for visual novels and as a tribute to Dazai. Here is a paragraph.

"With the bayonet affixed, the type 99 does fine service as a spear. Solitary practice with the bayonet was one of the only indulgences looked upon favourably and tolerated by the lieutenant, so I seized upon it fairly frequently as an opportunity to be alone. I have always held the spear to be the true weapon of Japan; the gunto wielded by Samurai was more properly the weapon of the Zaibatsu and the navy, with its dramatic flair and adventuresome ways. The Army represents, I am sure, something more dependable than that. The Samurai have no place in the people's army; the lowly spear, entrusted with protection of the fields and defense of the woman's virtue, is the proper symbol for what the Emperor's army brings to Asia. I keep these thoughts to myself, but they are a comfort as I go through the motions. "

Writing what you know, or the perils of not being able to do so, were apparent: Not about Japan, but humans speaking to each other, and the social hierarchy of military. Both seem distant and foreign to me, and I cannot understand it well. I should perhaps observe humanity more and socialize so that I can write dialogue. Failing that, the character would have to be trapped inside his mind too often, and it seems unfair to sentence him to that, even if he is lowborn.

Drakken

Will the main character get to torture Vietnamese prisoners as being sub-humans and use Korean comfort women on permission?  -_-

Lettow77

The main character would have a complex relationship with the Vietnamese, but certainly would not torture them. Thinking little of their level of civilization and society would be part of his world view. He'd tend to place them below the french and japanese hierarchically, but believe they are within the Japanese sphere, while the French are an oppressive intrusion.

For the Koreans he'd have a more visceral contempt. I didn't imagine including any Koreans. Or torture, for that matter.

Edit: Mood stabilized, after plunging a bit deeper. It's odd how I know tea will always make me feel better, but I will be unable to work up the motivation for it. The immense lack of motivation to do even things I know I will enjoy grips me so powerfully it's a cause for despair. I know what I want to do in life and can achieve some of it, including the most important part. Also, this anime is pleasing.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2012, 10:16:03 PM
So, how many people here have aspirations to write a novel?

Me. It's not going to be autobiographical though. Nobody wants to read that boring shit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

I shall write a novel too.

Black people conquered Egypt, and from there expanded, first to the middle east all the way to india, and then invaded Europe. Their carthaginian allies conquered Rome, and blacks from Asia Minor conquered Greece. The great Nubian Empire collapsed into smaller competing states, but continued to expand after adopting Islam.
Southern Europe are a collection of poor border marches, with the exception of the Great Emirate of Cordoba, part of the Great Khalifate (like the Holy Roman Empire), and central and northern europe are a source of slaves for the great black muslim States. The competition between them let to a fast development of technology, and by 1492 the sailors of Cordoba have discovered America, and the route to China. By the middle 1800s, the Emirates of America are getting ready to declare independance from the Khalifate. But they also have to deal with their masses of white slaves.

Black people rule the world, the standard of beauty is black, the darkest skin with the widest nose and thickest lips. They have rewritten history, and Mohamed was black, so was Hannibal, and every other major world figure and important ancient civilization. Even budda was black, instead of looking like Keanu Reeves.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Syt

I was going to suggest you switch black with jews, but then I realized you were going for alternate history.  :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Siege on January 15, 2012, 01:48:13 AM
I shall write a novel too.

Black people conquered Egypt, and from there expanded, first to the middle east all the way to india, and then invaded Europe. Their carthaginian allies conquered Rome, and blacks from Asia Minor conquered Greece. The great Nubian Empire collapsed into smaller competing states, but continued to expand after adopting Islam.
Southern Europe are a collection of poor border marches, with the exception of the Great Emirate of Cordoba, part of the Great Khalifate (like the Holy Roman Empire), and central and northern europe are a source of slaves for the great black muslim States. The competition between them let to a fast development of technology, and by 1492 the sailors of Cordoba have discovered America, and the route to China. By the middle 1800s, the Emirates of America are getting ready to declare independance from the Khalifate. But they also have to deal with their masses of white slaves.

Black people rule the world, the standard of beauty is black, the darkest skin with the widest nose and thickest lips. They have rewritten history, and Mohamed was black, so was Hannibal, and every other major world figure and important ancient civilization. Even budda was black, instead of looking like Keanu Reeves.

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.