News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Jersey Synagogue Firebombed

Started by jimmy olsen, January 13, 2012, 07:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I wonder why NJ has so many antisemitic crimes compared to other states?  :hmm:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-crime-synagogue-newjerseytre80b2bw-20120112,0,3581466.story
QuoteFBI probes four attacks on New Jersey synagogues

5:26 p.m. CST, January 12, 2012
Ads by Google

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The FBI and local law enforcement sought clues on Thursday in four attacks on Jewish targets in New Jersey in recent weeks, including Molotov cocktails thrown into a rabbi's home.

The firebombing of Congregation Beth El in Rutherford, New Jersey, which looks like a home but also houses a synagogue, was being investigated as both a hate crime and as attempted murder, said Maureen Parenta, a spokeswoman for Bergen County prosecutors.

Gasoline bombs thrown at the building on Wednesday ignited a blanket on the rabbi's bed and he awoke to the flames, said his wife, who spoke with reporters outside the building.

The rabbi, Nosson Schuman, put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher and suffered minor burns, police said. The house was minimally damaged.

The rabbi, his wife, their five children, ages 5 to 17, and the rabbi's elderly parents evacuated the home, police said.

It was the latest in a series of suspected hate crimes at four synagogues that started in December in northern New Jersey's Bergen County, Rutherford police said.

The other three crimes included a fire started in the rear of an Orthodox temple in January and anti-Semitic graffiti including Swastikas and accusations that Jews caused the September 11 attacks found at two other synagogues in December.

"All four of these cases are being investigated but at this time we don't have any evidence of a clear connection between them," Parenta said.

Investigators treated the Rutherford incident as attempted murder because one of the firebombs was thrown on the second floor where the Schuman family lives, Parenta said.

Police lack any suspects but believe Rabbi Schuman was the target and more than one person was responsible for the firebombing.

"At this point we don't know for sure what the motivation is behind it," said Special Agent Bryan Traverse of the FBI, which joined the investigation into the four incidents.

"We don't know if they were targeting this congregation specifically or just Jewish organizations in Bergen County."

The Anti-Defamation League offered a $2,500 reward for information leading to an arrest in the firebombing. New Jersey logs among the highest number of anti-Semitic hate crimes in the nation, said Etzion Neuer, the ADL's New Jersey director.

Law enforcement officials planned to meet with dozens of Jewish organizations on Thursday night to discuss further precautions in light of the attacks.

(Editing By Barbara Goldberg and Daniel Trotta)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Richard Hakluyt

The first step is to get a proportional rather than an absolute figure for the number of anti-semitic hate crimes.

For all we know the 3 Jewish guys resident in North Dakota have an absolutely miserable time even though, or because, there are only 21 anti-semitic hate crimes per year there.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 13, 2012, 10:07:56 AM
The first step is to get a proportional rather than an absolute figure

Many news articles could use that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

The creator of Superman was a Jude, wasn't he?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

sbr

Quote from: HVC on January 13, 2012, 10:40:47 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2012, 10:27:49 AM
The creator of Superman was a Jude, wasn't he?
worse. a Canadian jude

I was friends with a Canadian Jew back in the early '90s.  One of the funniest guys I ever knew.

Martinus

Drakken