So what's the big fucking deal about Marines pissing on dead Taliban?

Started by CountDeMoney, January 12, 2012, 05:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: C.C.R. on January 13, 2012, 07:36:17 PM
After some thought (and some beers), I have to admit that these guys do indeed deserve to get bounced from The Corps -- not for mentally & emotionally dehumanizing the enemy to the point where they felt compelled to piss on their corpses after killing them (hell, give me a case of PBR, a couple of Black Sabbath LP's & eight hours alone in my garage & I'm at that level without getting shot at), but rather from being dumb enough to record it & put it on Teh Interwebs & making politicians have to explain it...

Ah, to be 19 again...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on January 13, 2012, 03:07:16 PM
I am somewhat astounded that there are military people out there who still don't apparently understand that doing shit like this and recording it is not a great plan.

After some thought (and some beers), I have to admit that these guys do indeed deserve to get bounced from The Corps -- not for mentally & emotionally dehumanizing the enemy to the point where they felt compelled to piss on their corpses after killing them (hell, give me a case of PBR, a couple of Black Sabbath LP's & eight hours alone in my garage & I'm at that level without getting shot at), but rather from being dumb enough to record it & put it on Teh Interwebs & making politicians have to explain it...

If cops haven't figured that out in over 20 years, why would you think Marines would?

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2012, 01:35:09 AM
I am somewhat astounded that there are military people out there who still don't apparently understand that doing shit like this and recording it is not a great plan.

If cops haven't figured that out in over 20 years, why would you think Marines would?

Marines are smarter than cops.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2012, 03:02:13 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 13, 2012, 02:57:42 PM
Gotta agree with Marty, no matter how much it pains me to do so.

I can understand how it is stupid I was just confused why it was astounding.  You see the psychological struggles Siege goes through.

Several reasons. The internet generation thinks in graphic terms. If there is no video record of it, it didn't happen.
You know, the price we pay for an oportunity to go to war is rather high.
Waking up everyday at 0415 in the morning, doing crazy bone breaking physical training, combat training day and night, rain or snow, endless formations, military discipline, no sick days unless you are really sick almost dying certified by an Army doctor, petty pay, shaving, haircuts, guard duty, and so on.
It really sucks and no money can properly compensate for what we put ourself through. We all end up with chronic pain and broken knees for the rest of our lives.
Then when we finally get there, we have to survive with Rules of Engagements designed to get us killed.
I ain't gonna tell my boys that they can't take videos or pictures. Fuck no.
I always make sure stupid shit does not happens, and so it does not get taped.
But stupid shit happens regardless of my best efforts and if it happens, you can be sure it will be taped.

Too me, the best way is to always make clear to my soldiers beforehand what they can do and what they can't, according with our RoEs.
And repeat it until they get it.
Still, stupid shit its going to happen, that's the nature of the beast.
The only think I can do is to control that the shit is not THAT stupid.

Pissing on dead bodies would be the last of my worries.
I would definitively not let it happen on my watch because it is an indicator of a breakdown in discipline.
It would lead to worst things.

But it is really very mild, and you can be sure the "Greatest Generation" did far worst with the Krauts and the Japs.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2012, 06:03:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2012, 05:58:21 PM
or humiliated on camera with four guys pissing on me I think I'd go with the second one.

You can probably make some good money on the side.  Imma jus sayin

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: Siege on January 15, 2012, 01:15:25 AM
I would definitively not let it happen on my watch because it is an indicator of a breakdown in discipline.

But it is really very mild, and you can be sure the "Greatest Generation" did far worst with the Krauts and the Japs.

See what you said there makes sense. All the people in this thread going on about how it's perfectly normal to pee on dead bodies because of the stress of war. No, it isn't. The urge may be. But not the act. Soldiers are supposed to be disciplined and trained. And these guys obviously weren't and that's why they should be disciplined.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2012, 10:14:21 AM
See what you said there makes sense. All the people in this thread going on about how it's perfectly normal to pee on dead bodies because of the stress of war.
Who are those people?  I don't see anyone arguing that, other than Neil, and Neil doesn't count since his posts are all trolls.

QuoteNo, it isn't. The urge may be. But not the act. Soldiers are supposed to be disciplined and trained. And these guys obviously weren't and that's why they should be disciplined.
Well, you beat the stuffing out of that straw man!  Well-done.  You, too, are a hero!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

See what you said there makes sense. All the people in this thread going on about how it's perfectly normal to pee on dead bodies because of the stress of war. No, it isn't. The urge may be. But not the act. Soldiers are supposed to be disciplined and trained. And these guys obviously weren't and that's why they should be disciplined.
Well, it is perfectly normal.  There isn't a single war in history where that sort of thing didn't go on.  The idea that soldiers should be disciplined and trained to always look good on camera is a new one.  It's sort of like the Victorian Royal Navy, which didn't practice gunnery because the burnt propellant would ruin the finish on their ships, which they polished and primped.  That's why Western militaries aren't able to win anything anymore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 2012, 10:25:16 AM
See what you said there makes sense. All the people in this thread going on about how it's perfectly normal to pee on dead bodies because of the stress of war.
Who are those people?  I don't see anyone arguing that, other than Neil, and Neil doesn't count since his posts are all trolls.
Most of them, true.  But some of them are just throwaway observations, where I'm not looking to troll anyone.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on January 15, 2012, 10:38:42 AM
Most of them, true.  But some of them are just throwaway observations, where I'm not looking to troll anyone.
Correction acknowledged.

Bayraktar!

Josephus

I wasnt thinking Neil.
For starters I'd say 11B4V; CCR; VAlmy; CDM.

Quote from: grumber

Well, you beat the stuffing out of that straw man!  Well-done.  You, too, are a hero!

Ah yes, the "Straw-Man" defence...surprised it took that long to air its ugly head. Waiting for the "marines are Nazis" to come up soon.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2012, 01:16:02 PM

I wasnt thinking Neil.

Ah yes, the "Straw-Man" defence...surprised it took that long to air its ugly head. Waiting for the "marines are Nazis" to come up soon.

Please point out where I said this was normal.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on January 15, 2012, 12:48:57 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2012, 01:35:09 AM

Marines are smarter than cops.

Apparenetly not. When have you seen a cop piss on a dead body?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

Quote from: 11B4V on January 15, 2012, 01:47:00 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2012, 01:16:02 PM

I wasnt thinking Neil.

Please point out where I said this was normal.

Well you didn't come out and say it but you certainly implied that you support what they did.

Siege

You want to see some blood for this, don't you?

I would discipline the inmediate leadership for letting this happen, but I would not be too hard on the joes.
Joes are joes and they will do what their leaders let them do.
It is that simple.
It is the NCOs job to show Joe what right looks like, and enforce the rules and regulations.