So what's the big fucking deal about Marines pissing on dead Taliban?

Started by CountDeMoney, January 12, 2012, 05:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

When you kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2012, 10:34:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2012, 10:23:03 AM
Quote from: Zanza on January 13, 2012, 09:59:53 AM
They are trained as soldiers, not as killers.

Isn't that sort of like saying they are trained as butchers, not as meat cutters?

Nope. It's the terms he is using.
Soldier = Army
Marines=Marines

I fuck with some of the knotheads at work and call them Naval Infantry. Also that thay are not a real branch of the military, so they answer to the Navy. There is no such thing as the Department of the Marine Corps. :D

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 13, 2012, 11:55:24 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2012, 10:34:47 AM

Isn't that sort of like saying they are trained as butchers, not as meat cutters?

Nope. It's the terms he is using.
Soldier = Army
Marines=Marines

I fuck with some of the knotheads at work and call them Naval Infantry. Also that thay are not a real branch of the military, so they answer to the Navy. There is no such thing as the Department of the Marine Corps. :D

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment
Hehe, yea :D
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 13, 2012, 11:55:24 AM
My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

That's an oldie but a goodie.

I have an ex-Marine in my shop;  when I sent out directives, I send out two versions;  the official one, and the "Marine" one, which specifically requires a war face.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2012, 09:29:48 AM
or burn down a church full of innocent civilians, like the Brits.
Isn't that what air forces are for these days?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Not really. In fact, I would say that our entire cultural treatment of warfare is based on recognizing this distinction.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2012, 12:44:04 PM
Not really. In fact, I would say that our entire cultural treatment of warfare is based on recognizing this distinction.

Well certainly a soldier has a certain code of conduct and there are certain standards of warfare but in the end it is about fighting and winning battles and wars.  There are many elements to doing that but infantry grunts are in the killing the enemy part of that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2012, 12:48:15 PM

Well certainly a soldier has a certain code of conduct and there are certain standards of warfare but in the end it is about fighting and winning battles and wars.  There are many elements to doing that but infantry grunts are in the killing the enemy part of that.

Meh, I dislike the military so I don't really care if they are considered stupid killers in the end. I'm just annoyed by the cognitive dissonance of people saying on one hand that pissing on dead bodies is after all what killers do, but then the next day going on to praise these people as heroes and rolemodels. You can't have it both ways.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2012, 12:51:15 PM

Meh, I dislike the military so I don't really care if they are considered stupid killers in the end. I'm just annoyed by the cognitive dissonance of people saying on one hand that pissing on dead bodies is after all what killers do, but then the next day going on to praise these people as heroes and rolemodels. You can't have it both ways.

Why not?

They are heroes who put their life on the line for our country.  They deserve our respect and admiration.  But as part of training them to be soldiers they may not be the kind of person you'd want your daughter going out with.

I have the same mixed feelings about hockey players.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I am saying it is a human reaction to combat so not too terribly shocking.  They are praised for basically giving up their humanity and taking on a horrible burden so I do not have to.  So volunteering to become the sort of person who would kill some dudes and then piss on them is part of what makes them heroes.  I mean to the extent they are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

War isn't pretty, and at the end of the day, you're killing people.  Whether you say "sorry about that, mate" or "die, motherfucker" when you do the killing, that basic fact is the same.  While of course I would like the killers on our side to be perfectly honorable, and I think that honor should be strictly enforced, I also don't know what war does to the psyche of people.  Thankfully, in this country, I have the choice of not knowing it personally, and it's the choice I happily made.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2012, 01:00:57 PM

They are heroes who put their life on the line for our country.

[me] Ok. Yeah.

They deserve our respect and admiration. 

[me] In as much as ordinary people like nurses, social workers, polciemen, firefighters, do, yeah.

But once they piss on other people, dead or alive, that bit about respect and admiration? Nah, it pretty much flies out the window for me and if they step on a land mine on their way back to base--I can't say I'd lose any sleep.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2012, 01:10:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 13, 2012, 01:00:57 PM

They are heroes who put their life on the line for our country.

[me] Ok. Yeah.

They deserve our respect and admiration. 

[me] In as much as ordinary people like nurses, social workers, polciemen, firefighters, do, yeah.

But once they piss on other people, dead or alive, that bit about respect and admiration? Nah, it pretty much flies out the window for me and if they step on a land mine on their way back to base--I can't say I'd lose any sleep.

I was speaking of soldiers in general.  I certainly wouldn't want these fellows to step on a land mine (Jos - really?), but I imagine they will be drummed out and that seems appropriate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2012, 01:01:12 PM

I am saying it is a human reaction to combat so not too terribly shocking.  They are praised for basically giving up their humanity and taking on a horrible burden so I do not have to.  So volunteering to become the sort of person who would kill some dudes and then piss on them is part of what makes them heroes.  I mean to the extent they are.

I disagree. There are thousands, upon thousands, of other soldiers, presently, and in history, who didn't feel the need to piss on other soldeirs. Those are heroes, yeah. These ones are just fucked up.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2012, 01:12:04 PM
I disagree. There are thousands, upon thousands, of other soldiers, presently, and in history, who didn't feel the need to piss on other soldeirs. Those are heroes, yeah. These ones are just fucked up.

Well when you are brutalized you do fucked up things.  Many did less fucked up things, and many did much more fucked up stuff.