So what's the big fucking deal about Marines pissing on dead Taliban?

Started by CountDeMoney, January 12, 2012, 05:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2012, 08:31:57 PM
Man, if crazy Islamists see this video they might not like us.
if crazy Islamists were to do it on dead Marines, you'd all be up in arms about their savegery.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on January 13, 2012, 01:00:04 AM
if crazy Islamists were to do it on dead Marines, you'd all be up in arms about their savegery.

Not really. Crazy islamist do things pretty routinely that makes pissing on already dead people pretty uninteresting. Like suicide bombers and such.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Or cutting people's heads off and putting the videos on the internet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

From the responses given, only HVC gets it. It has nothing to do with pissing off the Taliban or anyone else. It has everything to do with our self-image and maintaining a certain decorum we have created in the West around killing that allows us to call ourselves civilized and better than the "savages". It's for the same reason we give death row criminals the last meal and do not have public executions - this is a part of our "civilized" ways, there to convince us we are not like our enemies.

You may find it silly or hypocritical, but being blind to it or disregarding it as non-existent is just moronic.

Richard Hakluyt

It will be blown out of proportion but that does not make the act acceptable. They are undermining the war effort with this sort of bs, and filming it in this age of instant communications was a stupid error. They will be in for an unpleasant time when they go to their interviews with their CO.

Martinus

Not really. The main damage will be at home. Liberal democracies are capable of waging foreign wars if the majority of the populace is convinced the cause is just and "our boys" are the "good guys", who play by the rules and adhere to some sort of chivalric-like code of conduct. Incidents/videos like this undermine this conviction.

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 13, 2012, 02:51:23 AM
It will be blown out of proportion but that does not make the act acceptable. They are undermining the war effort with this sort of bs, and filming it in this age of instant communications was a stupid error. They will be for an unpleasant time when they go to their interviews with their CO.

Completely agree. It's just the sheer stupidity of not understanding the consequences of one's actions that's astounding here.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on January 13, 2012, 01:00:04 AM

They've done a lot worse. Not sure it would faze me much.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Ironic that pissing on Taliban would at the same time be pissing off Taliban.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on January 13, 2012, 03:18:26 AM
Ironic that pissing on Talibans would at the same time be pissing off Talibans.

Pissing is not a precise art.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2012, 02:54:28 AM
It will be blown out of proportion but that does not make the act acceptable. They are undermining the war effort with this sort of bs, and filming it in this age of instant communications was a stupid error. They will be for an unpleasant time when they go to their interviews with their CO.

Completely agree. It's just the sheer stupidity of not understanding the consequences of one's actions that's astounding here.

Most of us aren't thinking about the geopolitical consequences of every act we do. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2012, 03:59:33 AM

Most of us aren't thinking about the geopolitical consequences of every act we do.

Employees should be expected not to do things that make their employer look bad, while on duty. Wouldn't you agree?

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2012, 04:06:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2012, 03:59:33 AM

Employees should be expected not to do things that make their employer look bad, while on duty. Wouldn't you agree?

*cough*
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory