Main Menu

The one-shot society

Started by jimmy olsen, January 05, 2012, 03:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 06, 2012, 07:54:44 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2012, 07:05:40 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2012, 01:36:22 AM
Some of the most zealous workaholics in the HK civil service are Brits (we still have a few of them).  I know someone who jumped off the roof because of work pressure.  His boss was a Brit.

Damn, I wish I had a bunch of chinks working for me, so I could learn that trick.
Its not hard to jump off a building unless you decide to make a 2nd attempt.

:lol: Limping back up the stairs would be a bitch.

Razgovory

Tell me about it.  I actually did that once.  Turns out, I'm bouncy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2012, 09:35:50 PM
Must be the rubber underwear.
PDH!

Razgovory

I probably should have found a taller building, but I sure as hell didn't want to climb those stairs again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

:hug:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on January 06, 2012, 04:45:19 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 06, 2012, 02:38:38 AMThat's why in civilized countries, it's illegal to volunteer extra hours at work (unless you're an exempt professional).  Or, more precisely, you can volunteer, but the employer is forced to pay you overtime, whether you asked for his permission or not.  It is well understood in such countries that laws designed to improve working conditions can be subverted by "volunteering", so laws have to deal with that.
In this civilized country, most overtime is unpaid and not compensated by free time either.

Here the only people that get paid overtime are electricians, plumbers, welders, assembly line workers and the like.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2012, 08:34:55 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 05, 2012, 10:31:26 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 05, 2012, 10:28:47 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2012, 02:52:02 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 05, 2012, 02:46:05 PMNo but it's crazy expensive.
And how.  I've got American classmates who are coming to London doing a two year LLB here because it's cheaper than law school in the US.  Then they go back and take the New York bar.
And then what...   :hmm:
Then they make salads.
No, that's just lawyers that don't take the bar.

I feel my plan comes under unfair criticism simply because it failed. -_-

Also, your statement is untrue.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on January 06, 2012, 09:48:46 PM

The plan would have worked better if I hadn't been scared of heights and willing to go find a taller building.  So I settled on a shorter one.  I know it doesn't make any fucking sense.

Maximus

A guy did that here. Jumped 10 or so floors onto the roof of a lower building, then jumped off that one for the coup de grace.

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2012, 08:05:23 AM
The obvious problem is that (at least in HK), different schools have vastly different standards.  Under this system, there is also an incentive for school teachers to overgrade their students.
Overgrading doesn't work when you have (as in the US) a "school profile" that goes in with each application, so that grades are normalized by the university.  A lower GPA can thus provide a higher score because it is from a school whose grades are lower overall.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2012, 10:50:11 PM

The plan would have worked better if I hadn't been scared of heights and willing to go find a taller building.  So I settled on a shorter one.  I know it doesn't make any fucking sense.

:D

Raz, I'd be in the same boat, I can't stand heights, so if in that situation wouldn't be able to do it anyway despite the intent.

I think I have a bit of what Churchill had, with his not liking to be near the edge of a train platform when a train was approaching.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2012, 12:58:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2012, 10:50:11 PM

:D

Raz, I'd be in the same boat, I can't stand heights, so if in that situation wouldn't be able to do it anyway despite the intent.

I think I have a bit of what Churchill had, with his not liking to be near the edge of a train platform when a train was approaching.

A BAC of .25?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.