News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The one-shot society

Started by jimmy olsen, January 05, 2012, 03:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2012, 02:52:02 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 05, 2012, 02:46:05 PMNo but it's crazy expensive.
And how.  I've got American classmates who are coming to London doing a two year LLB here because it's cheaper than law school in the US.  Then they go back and take the New York bar.

And then what...   :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 05, 2012, 10:28:47 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2012, 02:52:02 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 05, 2012, 02:46:05 PMNo but it's crazy expensive.
And how.  I've got American classmates who are coming to London doing a two year LLB here because it's cheaper than law school in the US.  Then they go back and take the New York bar.

And then what...   :hmm:

Then they make salads.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

The way I see it, the system is beginning to break down in HK as well.  Mainly because the establishment can't keep its end of the bargain any more.  The deal is, study crazily hard, get into the best stream in the best university, and you'll be rewarded with a stable, good office job. 

But the increased number of university graduates, combined with the falling birth rate, globalization, and automation, mean the ratio of graduates and the number of available office jobs is now very unfavourable. 

An additional factor is that, in the past, success is the only option.  Your parents work and toil in the construction sites and factories.  They borrow money and eat garbage so that the child has a chance to get to university.  If the child get an office job, the whole family will be elevated to middle classhood.  Now, the parents are already office workers themselves, who likely make a lot more than what the child can ever hope to make.  The pressure for the child to succeed is far less, and a lot of people can afford to do what they want to do. 

Ideologue

I read somewhere that on the mainland they're closing a lot of university programs because they're straight-up worthless.

I hate to say it, but yeah.  Even a broken country is right two times a century, or something like that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on January 05, 2012, 10:17:37 PM
If you replace "Korea" with "Hong Kong" in the article, it'll still be largely true.
At least in Korea if you're really talented at some thing they have a special school for it. Sports academies, music academies, etc.

Korea's big enough that it has its own pro leagues, music scene, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on January 05, 2012, 11:17:35 PM
I read somewhere that on the mainland they're closing a lot of university programs because they're straight-up worthless.

I hate to say it, but yeah.  Even a broken country is right two times a century, or something like that.

I haven't heard of any large scale closing of university programmes.  I think that's about dealing with the schemes that are outright frauds. 

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on January 05, 2012, 11:28:23 PM
Sounds like Hell.

Pro sports and music sound like hell? :unsure:

Or vocational training sounds like hell?

I'm pretty sure neither really qualify...
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Monoriu on January 05, 2012, 11:29:05 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 05, 2012, 11:17:35 PM

I haven't heard of any large scale closing of university programmes.  I think that's about dealing with the schemes that are outright frauds.

Then they're still well ahead of the ABA, let alone the Department of Education.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Yeah... it's worse than the article makes it sound.

It's technically 830-430 at most schools, but almost all of them attend extra classes that last until 10pm.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 05, 2012, 11:31:52 PM

It's technically 830-430 at most schools, but almost all of them attend extra classes that last until 10pm.

That's really dumb.  Have they never heard of diminishing returns?

It's so foolish and depressing how people will so enthusiastically race to the bottom.  No wonder they kill themselves so much more often than us.

Also, fuck Britain with it's 5 in 100,000 rate.  Goddamn easy-going limeys.
Kinemalogue

Monoriu

Quote from: Habbaku on January 05, 2012, 11:28:23 PM
Sounds like Hell.

Depends on how you look at it.  The one shot exam model is important for social stability because it allows the poor a reasonable chance at upward social mobility.  Sure, the rich still has an edge because they can afford expensive private tutoring.  But at the end of the day, it is about ticking the right boxes anonymously.  There is no gurantee that the tutoring will help.  A poor kid who is hardworking enough has a reasonable shot.

Ideologue

I think I'd like it.  I test well.
Kinemalogue

Monoriu

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on January 05, 2012, 11:36:57 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 05, 2012, 11:31:52 PM

That's really dumb.  Have they never heard of diminishing returns?

It's so foolish and depressing how people will so enthusiastically race to the bottom.  No wonder they kill themselves so much more often than us.

Also, fuck Britain with it's 5 in 100,000 rate.  Goddamn easy-going limeys.

To be fair, doing well in exams is not the only reason to send kids to the private tutors.  They also act as babysitters because the parents often have to work long hours.  Of course, it is also a convenient excuse if you don't want to see your troublesome kids  :menace: