News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Strix on September 05, 2012, 03:31:28 AM
I am not so sure about that. In the 18 years since it was implemented, the Wild Card team has played in 10 World Series and won 5 of them. So, in any given year there is about a 50% chance one of the Wild Card teams will make it all the way. I'd say there really isn't an advantage or disadvantage.

Yeah but that was with the old rules where having the Wild Card gave no significant disadvantage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2012, 09:20:40 AM
COME ON ORIOLES!  Maintain your magical powers for just two more months.

Or at least for 6 games.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Strix on September 05, 2012, 03:31:28 AM

I am not so sure about that. In the 18 years since it was implemented, the Wild Card team has played in 10 World Series and won 5 of them. So, in any given year there is about a 50% chance one of the Wild Card teams will make it all the way. I'd say there really isn't an advantage or disadvantage.

Well, yeah, in the past, which is why I hated the old system. Among reasonably evenly matched teams, a 7 game series isn't much better than a toss up. Anyone can make a run.

But now, half the wildcards will get cut in the new first round. On top of that, 1 game do or die situations tend to mean all hands on deck for a pitching staff. That means a wild card team heading into round 2 probably just burned its best pitchers, while the division winner it will play will be using that time to rest the staff.

Even if the Rays, Yankees, and Orioles all make the playoffs, you really want to be the winner of that division. Before it was really just a matter of pride.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Lol, my brother just sold a baseball card on ebay to: Keith Olbermann.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2012, 08:34:45 PM

I :wub: Keith...so long as he talks sports...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

This game is seriously bumming me out.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2012, 08:39:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2012, 08:34:45 PM

I :wub: Keith...so long as he talks sports...

Ditto.  Unfortunately that means I hate him most of the time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2012, 08:43:02 PM
Ditto.  Unfortunately that means I hate him most of the time.

Gotta admit, though;  his baseball knowledge is friggin' encyclopedic.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

4 game series with the New Yawk Yanquis begins tonight.   Probably one of the biggest end-of-the-year series facing the O's since 1989.

Valmy

MOTHERF*%&#$^#$&@#$&#((@#&*

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2012, 09:08:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2012, 09:02:26 PM
MOTHERF*%&#$^#$&@#$&#((@#&*

Problem?

That bases loaded walk in the top of the 8th...

I am better now :)

CountDeMoney

Don't sweat it, daddyo...this birds have bats.