News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Poland: the new success story?

Started by Martinus, January 04, 2012, 09:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syk

I just remembered our stoneware dishes are "handmade in Poland".

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2012, 12:27:19 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2012, 12:26:40 PM
The label is in English/German/Swedish, the list of ingredients is in English, German, Swedish, Danish/Norwegian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch and Greek.

Woah.  That must be small print.

In Poland, for example a lot of cosmetics and similar products (e.g. washing powder) have labels in Polish, Lithuanian, Hungarian, Czech etc. as they probably market them in this part of Europe. In general, you are required by law to sell the products with labels in the local language so depending on the market size I guess you will see one or more languages.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2012, 12:26:40 PM
I just had a brief look in my kitchen and found Finn Crisp crispbread, made surprisingly in Finland. ;)

The crispiness is kind of a shocker too, in addition to the country of origin. :o

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 04, 2012, 11:54:30 AM
If anything I am surprised that Eastern Europe is taking so long to catch up, growth rates a percent or two above Germany when your wages are a third of their's..................it will take a century or so to catch up  :hmm:

And Poland is doing so well compared to some of the others.

The thing is...the cost of living is so much less, and at least the cities don't seem radically different from western europe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Poland is apparently the second biggest source of IKEA stuff after China, but ahead of Italy, Germany and Sweden.

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2012, 12:44:24 PMThe thing is...the cost of living is so much less, and at least the cities don't seem radically different from western europe.
The Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia have already surpassed Portugal (the poorest Western European country) in GDP PPP per capita and will pass Greece soon (or have already passed it with the current turmoil there). Poland is a bit behind those three, but not that far.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2012, 12:44:24 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 04, 2012, 11:54:30 AM
If anything I am surprised that Eastern Europe is taking so long to catch up, growth rates a percent or two above Germany when your wages are a third of their's..................it will take a century or so to catch up  :hmm:

And Poland is doing so well compared to some of the others.

The thing is...the cost of living is so much less, and at least the cities don't seem radically different from western europe.

I wouldn't necessarily say that about costs of living anymore, at least not in cities like Warsaw. When I lived in Brussels, it was comparable and you often pay "provincial premium" for stuff like brand clothes in Warsaw compared to the Western European capitals so when zloty was strong against Euro people used to go shopping to Paris or Berlin.

MadImmortalMan

Marty, there is a thread on paradox right now titled "Is Homosexuality a Disease?". Go get 'em.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

Re the cost of living in Poland. I'm having my house renovated and was chatting to the builders, two of them (the most hard-working and competent  :P ) are from Poland. They insisted that prices were similar to Britain and that the wages they could expect were only about half. Bear in mind that we were comparing Lancashire with non-Warsaw Poland in this instance.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on January 04, 2012, 12:48:50 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say that about costs of living anymore, at least not in cities like Warsaw. When I lived in Brussels, it was comparable and you often pay "provincial premium" for stuff like brand clothes in Warsaw compared to the Western European capitals so when zloty was strong against Euro people used to go shopping to Paris or Berlin.

Hotels, cabs, and restaurants are so much cheaper in Warsaw than places like Paris or Berlin, in my experience at least (especially compared to paris). Those may not be representative, but those are the only costs I paid much attention to.

A lot of services are cheaper too. I visited the bunker complext that served as the command center for the Nazis in WWII (the Wolf's Lair). When I got there, I asked for an english language guide. They had to call one from town. I got a tour for about 1.5-2 hours from a lady who was very knowledgeable (and had done some work for english language television programs). The cost: 50 zloty (about $15). I felt horrible about that, so I gave her 100.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 04, 2012, 12:52:49 PM
Marty, there is a thread on paradox right now titled "Is Homosexuality a Disease?". Go get 'em.

LOL seriously? It wasn't closed? I don't go to that blighted place though.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2012, 12:59:14 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 04, 2012, 12:48:50 PM

Hotels, cabs, and restaurants are so much cheaper in Warsaw than places like Paris or Berlin, in my experience at least (especially compared to paris). Those may not be representative, but those are the only costs I paid much attention to.

A lot of services are cheaper too. I visited the bunker complext that served as the command center for the Nazis in WWII (the Wolf's Lair). When I got there, I asked for an english language guide. They had to call one from town. I got a tour for about 1.5-2 hours from a lady who was very knowledgeable (and had done some work for english language television programs). The cost: 50 zloty (about $15). I felt horrible about that, so I gave her 100.

Ok that kind of stuff (costs of guides etc. especially in provincial Poland) are likely smaller.

What hotels do you usually stay when visiting Warsaw?

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on January 04, 2012, 01:39:44 PM

BIB closed it eventually with one of his signature "No." posts.  :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on January 04, 2012, 01:41:02 PM

Ok that kind of stuff (costs of guides etc. especially in provincial Poland) are likely smaller.

What hotels do you usually stay when visiting Warsaw?

I've only stayed at the Sheraton maybe a mile or so from the royal castle.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2012, 01:42:10 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 04, 2012, 01:39:44 PM

BIB closed it eventually with one of his signature "No." posts.  :)

Started by that Suecia guy, damn what a piece of work he is.

On topic: Over here the foreign language you read more often in product's labels is Portuguese.

And I wish Poland all the best. :)