News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Poland: the new success story?

Started by Martinus, January 04, 2012, 09:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I hear the roads suck.

So infrastructure spending must not be the way to prosperity after all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2012, 12:16:31 PM
On a different note, how many languages (and which) are your product labels printed in?  Spanish is showing up on more and more stuff here in the States.
Labels?  Almost always just English.

Lists of ingredients, though, are normally in loads of languages.

I can't think of many Polish products outside the Polish section of a shop.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2012, 12:08:31 PM
Both you guys please do me a favor and next time you're in the ubermarkt scan around and see if spot any Polish labels.
Polish labels as in Polish language? I am pretty sure that I won't find any in a normal German supermarket. Just about everything here is labeled in German.

Valmy

On a different note, how many languages (and which) are your product labels printed in?  Spanish is showing up on more and more stuff here in the States.

French as well.  Many products I buy are trilingual these days.  Probably so they can use the same packaging for the entire North American market.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Mostly German. Some imported stuff has multi-language descriptions. List of Ingredients are often in multiple Euro languages.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

I just had a brief look in my kitchen and found Finn Crisp crispbread, made surprisingly in Finland. ;)

The label is in English/German/Swedish, the list of ingredients is in English, German, Swedish, Danish/Norwegian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch and Greek.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2012, 12:26:40 PM
The label is in English/German/Swedish, the list of ingredients is in English, German, Swedish, Danish/Norwegian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch and Greek.

Woah.  That must be small print.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Pepperridge Farm cookies are one of the few things I can think of that are sold with an American label in a supermarket here.

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2012, 12:27:19 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2012, 12:26:40 PM

Woah.  That must be small print.
Google image search really has everything.  :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2012, 12:20:57 PM
Polish labels as in Polish language? I am pretty sure that I won't find any in a normal German supermarket. Just about everything here is labeled in German.

I guess I meant like a recognizably Polish brand.

Zanza

I can't think of a single Polish brand. Maybe in the liquor part of the supermarket? The Vodka with grass in it is from Poland, no? But I don't know the name of the brand.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on January 04, 2012, 12:32:31 PM
I can't think of a single Polish brand. Maybe in the liquor part of the supermarket? The Vodka with grass in it is from Poland, no? But I don't know the name of the brand.
Zubrowka.  That's a good one actually.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Bag of Crunchips potato chips:
Blurb text German.

Ingredients: German, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Greek, Slovenian, Croatian, Russian, Bulgarian, Arabic. Nutrition: German/English.

Can of Stiegl beer from Salzburg: German/English/Swedish (PANT 50 ÖRE).

Austrian cheese sausage: German only.

Heinz Sweet Chili Beans: German/French/Italian

Schneekoppe Müsli: German blurb, Ingredients in German, Italian, Russian, Croatian, Slovak, Czech, Serbian.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2012, 12:08:31 PM
Both you guys please do me a favor and next time you're in the ubermarkt scan around and see if spot any Polish labels.

Unlikely, as most stuff is probably produced under own brand for supermarkets like Lidl or Aldi.

Richard Hakluyt

There is a Polish food brand called "Krakus", mainly pickles as far as I can work out, they are sold in the UK in non-Polish shops.

The beers and vodkas of course.