News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Getting from London to Paris

Started by stjaba, April 30, 2009, 11:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stjaba

Whats the best way to get from London to Paris? I checked the Eurostar website, and a I can get a youth fare for $118. I found a regular fare on British Airways from Heathrow to Charles de Gaulle Airport for $97. The price is similar,  so I'm indifferent on that, but what way is easier/less of a hassle?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Eochaid

Quote from: stjaba on April 30, 2009, 11:57:23 AM
Whats the best way to get from London to Paris? I checked the Eurostar website, and a I can get a youth fare for $118. I found a regular fare on British Airways from Heathrow to Charles de Gaulle Airport for $97. The price is similar,  so I'm indifferent on that, but what way is easier/less of a hassle?

What Sheilbh said.

The Eurostar will get you from downtown London to downtown Paris in 3h (boarding included)

Flying will take approximately 6h and you'll have to pay approx. 40€ ($60) in tickets to/from airports

Kevin
It's been a while

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, the train will take you from city centre to city centre. The flight will involve transfers from inconveniently located airports, expensive and/or time-consuming.

Train will probably work out cheaper and quicker, more comfortable too.

Oexmelin

Eurostar !

The prices fluctuate a lot. Ask people for the best time for good fares (or play around the website, though I have found that I got better prices from being there in person). Although it might not get *that* much lower than what you posted. I got mine for 60 euros. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Monoriu

Neil

You'd have to be crazy to fly when you can take the train for a short trip like that.

It takes so long to get to the airport that by the time you take off, you would have been most of the way there if you had taken the train.  Mass transit is ridiculous and unworkable throughout most of North America, but it's wonderful in Europe.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Only downside with the train I can think of is that it's eco-friendly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Eurostar all the way. When I was living in Brussels I also always traveled to London by train. It's pretty much painless.

Martinus

Quote from: Eochaid on April 30, 2009, 12:00:59 PM
Quote from: stjaba on April 30, 2009, 11:57:23 AM

What Sheilbh said.

The Eurostar will get you from downtown London to downtown Paris in 3h (boarding included)

Flying will take approximately 6h and you'll have to pay approx. 40€ ($60) in tickets to/from airports

Kevin
I think it should be even faster. Doesn't Eurostar go for 1:20 from London to Paris these days? And I think you need to be at the station 30 minutes before departure.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2009, 01:04:09 PM
You'd have to be crazy to fly when you can take the train for a short trip like that.

It takes so long to get to the airport that by the time you take off, you would have been most of the way there if you had taken the train.  Mass transit is ridiculous and unworkable throughout most of North America, but it's wonderful in Europe.
Yeah. I'm surprised they actually still run flights from London to Paris.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on April 30, 2009, 02:09:20 PM
I think it should be even faster. Doesn't Eurostar go for 1:20 from London to Paris these days? And I think you need to be at the station 30 minutes before departure.
Just under two hours now :)

stjaba

Should I buy the ticket now, or wait till it gets closer to the travel day to get a better fare?

The Brain

Fuck tickets. Sneak onboard. Come on, it will be like an adventure!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on April 30, 2009, 02:36:36 PM
Fuck tickets. Sneak onboard. Come on, it will be like an adventure!

He does look like a hobo.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.