News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Unity of Command (Stalingrad, Matrix Games)

Started by Habbaku, December 30, 2011, 04:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The battle of the bobbleheads.

I'm with Before.

Habbaku

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2012, 02:46:33 AM
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Be sure to move your Miners up to eliminate the Bombs first.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

I wouldn't have thought that Habbaku would one day display TOAW3 as uncomprehensible, and advocate a Bubbleheads UI instead.

That said, I did break and buy it when I was bored and the holiday sales started. It is an ok game.

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on January 02, 2012, 10:16:15 AM
I wouldn't have thought that Habbaku would one day display TOAW3 as uncomprehensible, and advocate a Bubbleheads UI instead.

That said, I did break and buy it when I was bored and the holiday sales started. It is an ok game.

:huh: I thought he was saying TOAW3 was more comprehensible than Bobblehead game.

:ultra: BLASPHEMER he is.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

szmik

Even my 8yo son agrees. :cool: TOAW3 is more comprehensible, bubbleheads are not for wargames.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Habbaku

:lol:  The UI fights the player the entire way in TOAW 3.  It is not "uncomprehensible" (sic) and nor did I say it was.  The UI of Unity of Command is far clearer, in my opinion.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: szmik on January 02, 2012, 11:53:05 AM
Even my 8yo son agrees. :cool: TOAW3 is more comprehensible, bubbleheads are not for wargames.

Next you'll be telling me that cards don't belong in wargames, either.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2012, 04:30:44 PM

:lol:  The UI fights the player the entire way in TOAW 3.  It is not "uncomprehensible" (sic) and nor did I say it was.  The UI of Unity of Command is far clearer, in my opinion.

You are compering different levels of complexity.

Razgovory

Never really got the hang of TOAW.  In particular the way turn length worked.  Also felt they needed more infantry types besides light infantry, irregulars, medium rifles, heavy rifles, and assault rifles ( I think that was the way it worked),  I did like how it could simulate nearly any battle in the 20th century though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2012, 10:28:51 PM
Never really got the hang of TOAW.  In particular the way turn length worked. 

A lot of write ups that help with understanding that. Try getting into the events engine. Good, but :wacko:

Berkut

My problem with TOAW is that once I was good at the game, and understood how the turn timing mechanism worked, and got GOOD at managing it...I didn't like the game nearly as much as when I didn't understand it.

The turn timing mechanism was idiotic. I played TOAW from the day it came out, and I can safely say that I don't think how it ended up was ever how it was intended to begin with. The game really turned into understanding how to structure your attacks to maximize the turn length. Which is just way too much fiddling with very complex mechanics that have no real corollary that I could see to what it was supposed to be simulating.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned