Breaking news : Assassination attempt on Netherlands Royal Family ?

Started by mongers, April 30, 2009, 09:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Perhaps this was an assassination attempt:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8026807.stm

QuoteA car has crashed into a crowd watching a parade involving Dutch Queen Beatrix and her family, killing four people and seriously injuring several others.

The car eventually careered into a monument, narrowly missing an open-topped bus carrying the royals.

No members of the royal family were hurt in the incident, in Apeldoorn, about 90km (56 miles) from Amsterdam.

Dutch officials said the driver, who was seriously hurt in the crash, appeared to have acted deliberately.

But after searching the car and his home, investigators have ruled out terrorism as a motive.

They have not named the man, but said he was a Dutch national aged 38.

Apeldoorn mayor Fred de Graaf told a news conference that four people had been killed in the incident and 13 injured - five of them seriously.

'Royal shock'

Cynthia Boll, a photographer at the scene, told the BBC the car was already badly damaged before it slammed into the crowds at high speed.

"There were people everywhere, you could definitely see that it was serious because everywhere was blood and shoes ripped off and all the people giving CPR," she said.

The crowds were celebrating Queen's Day - a national holiday in the Netherlands when thousands of people take to the streets to mark the queen's official birthday.

Officials said flags are at half mast on government buildings across the country and all planned celebrations have been called off.

Witnesses said the streets of Apeldoorn are now empty.

In a statement from the royal family, the queen gave her condolences to the victims of the crash.

"Her majesty the queen, on behalf of other members of the royal family, expresses her shock at the incident," the statement said.

What the bbc video, it has the 2nd part of the 'attack' after the car has already driven through a crowd/barriers and his heading down the road to the bus.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Why anyone would do a kamikaze attack on the Dutch royal family is beyond me, so I'm going to assume he was just batshit drunk.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

The Dutch have long offended us smaller than average people with their tallness, and I hope this is the first strike from the Below Six Feet Liberation Front.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Norgy on April 30, 2009, 11:18:49 AM
The Dutch have long offended us smaller than average people with their tallness, and I hope this is the first strike from the Below Six Feet Liberation Front.

Huzzah!   :osama:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I was at a restaurant at Centreparcs in Port Zeeland, Holland, two years ago and needed to pee.

So I went to the bathroom and I swear to god, I had to stand on tiptoes to reach the base of the urinal...and I'm 5'10. :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

I love the tallness of the Dutch. So many women of acceptable height :wub:
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2009, 07:25:23 PM
I love the tallness of the Dutch. So many women of acceptable height :wub:
So you get rejected by women who you find attractive, rather than being rejected by women who are just passable?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Habsburg

The Dutch mens are super hot.  :mmm:

One more example that most of you humanoids are going insane.

Maladict

That was really surreal, 5 dead now  :(
Best party of the year ruined and it won't ever be the same again  :mad:

Martinus

Quote from: Habsburg on April 30, 2009, 07:44:56 PM
The Dutch mens are super hot.  :mmm:

One more example that most of you humanoids are going insane.
Indeed, the Dutch and the Czechs are the hottest men in Europe.

CountDeMoney

The guy died overnight. Poor bastard had his heart in the right place, though.