News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ben Nelson won't seek re-election in '12

Started by jimmy olsen, December 27, 2011, 06:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on December 27, 2011, 11:52:47 PM
A GOP House/Senate with Mubarak Obama would be pretty interesting to watch.  :hmm:
I think a  Dem House/GOP Senate could get stuff done whether Obama or Romney was President.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 28, 2011, 12:31:56 AM
A GOP House/Senate with Mubarak Obama would be pretty interesting to watch.  :hmm:
a  Dem House/GOP Senate could fail to get stuff done whether Obama or Romney was President.

Fixed

DGuller

I'll side with Timmy on this one.  The same quality that makes Democrats terrible knife fighters in the electoral game also makes them fairly good legislators.  They're perfectly fine with compromises rather than instilling Prussian military discipline within their ranks. 

Of course, as sympathetic as I generally am to Democrats, I also realize that Democrats hold a fair number of terrible ideas as well that are best left unimplemented, so they do need a check on their power.  It's a tragedy of today's politics that the only other party we have acts as a political terrorist rather than as a counterbalance.

Razgovory

Yeah, I saw that movie.  We had that back in the 1990's.  GOP House/Senate impeached the President.  It was asinine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

How so? Would they be better at undercutting him than the Dem congress?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2011, 09:53:09 PM
Now I do blame Bush for making our obscenely low tax burden the new normal and then prosecuting two underfunded wars, leading to the huge debt that the GOPpies are now using as a political bludgeon for stupid people who think that government debt is in any wise the same as household debt.

Still haven't come completely to terms with the fact that it was the Democrats who extended the Bush tax cuts for two years, have you?

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on December 28, 2011, 02:26:41 AM
How so? Would they be better at undercutting him than the Dem congress?
Touche!

But the Republican undercutting could be more amusing.  What's the record for the most impeachment proceedings against a president in a single term?  That one could go bye-bye, even if the record is three or even four.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 12:03:08 PM
Now I do blame Bush for making our obscenely low tax burden the new normal and then prosecuting two underfunded wars, leading to the huge debt that the GOPpies are now using as a political bludgeon for stupid people who think that government debt is in any wise the same as household debt.

Still haven't come completely to terms with the fact that it was the Democrats who extended the Bush tax cuts for two years, have you?

Because they'd have been crucified for raisin' taxes.  That's what I meant by "new normal."  Bush and the GOPgress left a time bomb that would explode in the Dems' face.  Clever plan.  Monstrous, but very clever.  And for a while it was looking like they were going to get what they really wanted in the first place: the destruction of the U.S. government as the referee of the U.S. economy, perhaps as much more than a strorage service for tanks and nuclear weapons.

But we've read their book.  Everyone now knows the GOP is not just inept, not merely associated with a malevolent fringe, but true evil through and through.  I'm winning the our wager.  And my party is winning the world! :yeah:

Anyway, how are you? :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2011, 05:14:05 PM

Because they'd have been crucified for raisin' taxes.  That's what I meant by "new normal."  Bush and the GOPgress left a time bomb that would explode in the Dems' face.  Clever plan.  Monstrous, but very clever.

Given the general incompetence of our elected officials, I'm not sure why things would be better if these benevolent Dems who know "what's best for us, even when we don't want it" had full charge of the government.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

But we've read their book.  Everyone now knows the GOP is not just inept, not merely associated with a malevolent fringe, but true evil through and through.  I'm winning the our wager.  And my party is winning the world! :yeah:

Have you been hanging out with Fireblade lately?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Because they'd have been crucified for raisin' taxes.  That's what I meant by "new normal."  Bush and the GOPgress left a time bomb that would explode in the Dems' face.  Clever plan.  Monstrous, but very clever.  And for a while it was looking like they were going to get what they really wanted in the first place: the destruction of the U.S. government as the referee of the U.S. economy, perhaps as much more than a strorage service for tanks and nuclear weapons.

Anyway, how are you? :)

You are more delusion than the revolutionaries of 1848 or the Decemberists.  WTG.  You are nearly in Bolshie territory.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on December 29, 2011, 12:38:14 PM
You are more delusion than the revolutionaries of 1848 or the Decemberists.  WTG.  You are nearly in Bolshie territory.

:huh:

The Bolsheviks were successful in their revolution.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 29, 2011, 12:58:57 PM

Successful in murdering millions of innocent Kulaks, which Ide wants to do in America, for the same reason Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin did: they were on the outside looking in.  Ide didn't give a shit about the revolution until his personal life went kablooie.  If Ide and his ilk can kill several million of us who refuse to give up and surrender to the will to violence, then he can have his worker's paradise.

Until then, he can STFU about the triumph of his overeducated and underworked peers in the Occupy Red Ass zone.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Ideologue

Quote from: Scipio on December 29, 2011, 01:16:46 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 29, 2011, 12:58:57 PM

Successful in murdering millions of innocent Kulaks, which Ide wants to do in America, for the same reason Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin did: they were on the outside looking in.  Ide didn't give a shit about the revolution until his personal life went kablooie.  If Ide and his ilk can kill several million of us who refuse to give up and surrender to the will to violence, then he can have his worker's paradise.

Until then, he can STFU about the triumph of his overeducated and underworked peers in the Occupy Red Ass zone.

...I vote Democrat.  I've only mentioned that about ten thousand times.

Of course, if you think the Democratic Party stands for "killing millions of kulaks," maybe someone else is the delusional one. :whistle:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Scipio

-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt